Does it matter what USB port I plug my USB cables in?

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Motherboard- Asus rog strix z390e
Case- Fractal Design define s2
GPU- rog strix rtx 2080
CPU- i7 9700k
Psu- seasonic 750w
Keyboard- Corsair k70
Mouse- Logitech g403

I just plugged in my two keyboard USBs (yes it has two) into those two blue USBs at the back. Above it are two red ones. I plugged both my mouse and headset in there. My mouse is perfect but the headset is the one I'm having issue with. Its a new headset...Astro a40 with TR mix amp. At first, it recognized my voice and audio....then the discord channel froze (not the application....just my voice and my friends)

I checked my sound setting. Switched to what was actually recommended by Astro themselves who made a video on YouTube on what to set to default and then boom
....... no sound at all. Then the sound program stopped responding. I also couldn't switch my amp to console then back to PC...it's like everything froze but windows will still running perfectly. Should I try that top USB port??? I believe it's a 2.0 and keep the keyboard and mouse the way it is. I do have 3.0 USB ports on my case but I kinda don't want cables hanging from the front...what should I do guys? Please look up my Mobo. BTW, some pictures show the ports at different places (the unreleased product as they did change it) so the USB 2.0 are on the top. The bottom has two blue and right above it is the red ones.

If you guys can look up my motherboard I'd really appreciate it. If you recommend me replacing the mouse and keyboard as well (meaning different ports) then let me know.

I'd plug the keyboard into the two black USB 2.0 ports, because there is not going to be any significant lag or latency issues using a keyboard on USB 2.0, and plug the headset and mouse into the blue USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 ports. The USB 3.1 Gen2 ports, which are red, may have issues with your headset, which isn't going to gain anything by being plugged into those Gen2 ports anyhow. The only devices which might gain anything from those ports are storage devices fastest enough to exceed usb 3.0 speeds. Maybe the mouse in one of the Gen 2 ports if you have an extremely fast, low latency mouse.

Make sure you have gone to the ASUS webpage for your board and downloaded, and installed, all available latest versions of drivers for your board. Chipset (Intel .inf), storage controllers, audio and network adapter drivers should all be updated to whatever is the latest version on your motherboard product page.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed per your product page.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
I'll try that then Dark. I just got my PC back today so I highly doubt it's driver related. By the way...the PC is amazing man. I could not be happier. Do you have a link where I can show you my/our build?

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Dark quick question. My monitor is an Alienware aw3418DW ultra wide. I started playing re2 remake but there is no aspect ratio in the settings. During cutscenes there's black bars on each side, however, in gameplay it goes to full screen.

I did notice that right down the center of my monitor (in game) one side looks darker then the other. It's really hard to see but noticeable when the background is dark. So picture a fully black ultra wide background. The left side is dark, but the right side is a tiny bit lighter. As I turn the camera, it follows. When I exit the game I don't notice anything. Is it because the lack of 21:9 support? How can I tell if it's actually my monitor?

Probably it's the fact that ultrawide resolutions aren't well supported in some games. Have you done a clean install of the graphics drivers using the DDU?

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Alright Dark. It's just resident evil...so we're good.

Also I noticed my PC once every 3+ hours just randomly freezes for like 5 seconds, then continues. Like the lights on my RTX alternate colors but when this happens, it freezes on a certain color, then when the freezing stops, it resumes it's change.

This is a newly built PC. I took it to a PC place so everything on this is new. I use g sync, I didn't touch any Nvidia control panel settings and I also use GeForce experience. Any idea what might cause this? Other than that, this PC runs beautifully.

PS. Turned on my PC and my keyboard turned on with it's colors, but wasn't able to to type anything. After disconnecting and reconnecting it worked again. Maybe this has to do with the above issue? I did put the Corsair k70 in those two black USB 2.0 slots.

Have you checked to see if there is a newer motherboard BIOS available?

Have you updated all the motherboard drivers, based on what's available from the motherboard product page?

Latest BIOS version for your motherboard is 0805. If you have an older version, I recommend that you update.

Latest chipset drivers:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Intel_Chipset_Software_WIN10-64_V10.1.17695.8086.zip

Latest audio driver:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/Realtek_Audio_Driver_WIN10-64_V6.0.1.8557_1115.zip

Latest LAN/Ethernet driver:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/04LAN/Intel_Gigabit_Ethernet_Driver_WIN10-64_V12.17.10.7_0831.zip

WiFi driver:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/08WIRELESS/DRV_WiFi_Intel_TP_W10_64_VER2011003_20190111R.zip

Bluetooth driver:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/02BT/DRV_Bluetooth_Intel_9461_9560_TP_W10_64_VER2010005_20190111R.zip

Aura driver:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/Lighting_Control_1.07.35.zip

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Bios updated, hanging is no longer, thanks Dark! I thought my half screen was fixed but it's not. It's the weirdest thing...it's not even noticeable with vibrant colors, also when at my home screen or watching videos or browsing on chrome, but as soon as I launch a game that has a dark screen or looking into a dark area with my character, the middle left is darker then the right. You can only see the line due to one side being darker, and the other side beir dark.

I tried with g sync off, resetting it to factory, not OC it to 120hz but leaving it on default @100. Do you think this is my monitor. Installed 3 games so far and each has it. What else could it be?

If it is my monitor, should I send it back? What would you do? I heard that if you RMA a product, they won't give you a brand new one, but rather a used monitor. This thing costed me $1200 cad.

D

Deleted member 217926

You've got an RTX 2080 and you have the latest drivers? You can do a clean install from within the Nvidia driver now and DDU isn't as important as it used to be. I'd still use it switching from AMD to Nvidia or vise versa though.

When you download the driver and start to install select Custom - then what you want to install. I skip the audio drivers as they aren't needed in my case. I also don't update the Physx software unless there's a newer version. Then select Clean Install.

I have the feeling if half your monitor looks off then you have either a defective card or a defective monitor. I'd try - a different cable and or connection type first. If you're using HDMI switch to Display Port etc.

If you just bought it and it is defective you can most likely return it to where you bought it. They should either issue you a refund or replace it with a new one. That applies to the card and the monitor.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Yeah brand new RTX and only installed drivers once. I've looked up some images on Google and nothing really shows the issue I'm experiencing. I usually see people with obvious white lines or blue streaks across the screen. Mine is simply one side is brighter then the other...but it's only noticeable if you try and look for it. When launching resident evil 2....the whole screen is black with the gaming companies logo..that's what made it noticeable. But if I play a game with brighter colors, it's still there but insanely hard to see. I don't see how this would be my rtx if it's a brightness issue. As if my led is perfectly faded from one side.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Also the Alienware has a self monitor test. To test each screen color to see if there's an issue. I could not see the line.

It might be there...but like I said it's hard to see without something moving in the background or having a proper image displayed like that resident evil 2 logo. 3 different games have it. Perhaps it's because of lack of 3440x1440p @21:9 support or monitor related or maybe even graphics card related.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
One point regarding 21:9 monitors. Many games the cutscenes and menus are designed for a 16:9 aspect ratio so you will get black bars at those times, while the game itself will be fully rendered at 21:9. Thats just down to the game, nothing you can do about it.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
I'm also still getting windows 10 freezes that last 5 sec every hour or so. I thought I fixed it but I didn't. When this happens my GPU and Mobo lights still alternate color, I lose control of mouse and keyboard but when I get control, my Mobo lights and GPU lights immediately change color instead of having a slow fade. Its only those two issues and I don't know if they have something in common.

My PC was built by a well known and high rated computer place. They said they found nothing wrong in the diagnostic when putting it together. Could they be wrong? Could this be my monitor? How can I find out what's going on with my PC? Maybe it's my display port cable? The freezing happens once every hour. So it's hard to know when it will happen.

Does this freezing happen no matter what you are doing, or does it only do it if you are doing something specific?

I would recommend that you turn off System restore, completely, and delete all the restore points. It never works right anyhow and there are much better options for creating restoration backups like Macrium reflect or Acronis true image, to periodically create a full system image backup that you can restore from if something goes to hell. I've seen System restore cause issues like this where the system will periodically freeze.

Also, I'd disable the automatic disk degragmentation. Just defrag or trim manually every so often. Defragmenter, when enabled, can also periodically cause the system to choke.

Honestly, my best guess, and that's all it is is a guess, would be that for some reason the backlight on half of the display is not working, which is why one half is brighter. I'd return the monitor.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Totally agree it's the monitor. Also, breeze. I did re use the Samsung Evo SSD for my OS again but they wiped it, then put the new OS on. The HDD is for pics so that wasn't anything, then the new crucial is for gaming. At first it only happened during gaming..but when I applied g sync to borderless window and fullscreen, then click applied...it froze for 5 sec, then resumed. When I went to quit resident evil 2... Not even anything happening on screen....it froze. I looked at GPU and it spiked down, and CPU spiked up. I'll probably give it back and tell them to see what's up. Currently with Dell right now and sent them screenshots.

I've seen some nasty lines on people's monitors with white streaks and stuff...but this seems different. It only has to do with brightness.

Brightness is usually, in my experience anyhow, a backlight issue, which means get it replaced right away. If not, you might end up stuck with it and it's probably not something that can be repaired.

I'm sure there are some other things it might be as well, but whatever it is, it AIN'T supposed to be that way. As mentioned, the black bars is common due to the resolution.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
One last thing. I remember telling you about my flight simulator and how many USBs it uses. Do you recommend any good external USB port devices? I need minimum of 4. I want good quality. And would it just plug into a USB 3.0?

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
I believe it's 2.0 Dark. Its not 3.0 as there's no blue inside the connecter. It's white.

It's the thrustmaster t-16000m HOTAS. Looking at the specs it just says USB. Even my head tracker isn't 3.0

Just the white at the bottom of the USB connector