Does it matter which slots the RAM goes in?

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I am afraid the ram that I bought might not allow the 212 evo cpu cooler that I ordered to fit properly.

I have an asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard, and these are the ram chips I ordered. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Just a little concerned. I am hoping that if needed, I could just move the ram down two slots. If not, I think its kind of silly that slot 1 and 2 are not away from the cpu.

Shouldn't be a problem to move the ram sticks. The mb manual tells you in detail. And it's silly to build coolers that don't fit on any modern board, because since the memory controller is part of the CPU, they all have the ram slots at the same place. :)

I have the same mobo. The manual recommends putting ram in slot 1 & 3 first then 2 & 4. The evo will block the first slot a little. If you need to just use slot 2 &4. Should be fine.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Wouldn't worry, the ram sockets are paired and you can usually move the memory to the other pair of sockets. I'm a bit perplexed with the amount of coolers out there that block the first socket (seems to be the accepted norm from when the first i5/i7 systems came out, lots of coolers blocked then).

From what I've read the fan on the Evo can just be slid upwards a little with negligible negative impact on performance.

emad_ramlawi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
hello, please note that i have the 212 evo cpu cooler with MSI a75a-g35, with thick heatsink ram, but not as tall as yours, and your in a suprise :)

i dont think your gona make it i reckon the Ram will hit, the cooler model reference at CM website states its 159 mm tall, please note thats not the actual tallness, that will applied in your case, due to its spring loaded, and those springs will add like a good 20 mm to the height, even so, my ram was 3mm away from CM evo, my ram is a-data gaming edition :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211409

so i dont think its gona work for you, unless if you changed the cooler direction, make sure you have case with ontop fan and the case does not have the PSU mounted on top.

**sorry for typos, sent from work

TRENDING THREADS