[SOLVED] Does it matter

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Have a MSI x570 A-Pro mb , RX 5600xt GPU, Corsair cx550 psu, PCpartpicker says: MSI x570 A-Pro Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply does not) Can I still use this power supply? will it be ok?, not planning on overclocking.

Solution
The extra 4 pin is used for added power for a second pcie graphics card and for overclocking.
Normally it is not needed.
Build without it and see how you do.
In the event that for some reason the motherboard requires the connector, you have a couple of options.
a. You can simply buy a new psu.
b. You can use a molex to 4 pin eps adapter cable. Not recommended, but it is likely to be ok with a modest graphics card.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Unfo
The extra 4 pin is not required at all. However, I would not buy that motherboard. It has known VRM thermal issues.
I'm building this for my nephew, He's already bought all the parts, I did tell him that maybe the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max might have been a better choice, but atm their all sold out, if he wanted to return his x570 to Amazon, Bestbuy is out of stock of that B450, Newegg is sold out too. He may have to stick with that x570 not sure how to resolve this for him. what do you think? Is there another MB you could suggest, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
The extra 4 pin is used for added power for a second pcie graphics card and for overclocking.
Normally it is not needed.
Build without it and see how you do.
In the event that for some reason the motherboard requires the connector, you have a couple of options.
a. You can simply buy a new psu.
b. You can use a molex to 4 pin eps adapter cable. Not recommended, but it is likely to be ok with a modest graphics card.

Solution