Question Does keeping laptop plugged in help the battery last longer?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I'm sick of having to buy new laptop batteries, and to make it even worse, now they are ALL internal...so can't even carry a spare one ;(

Manufacturers claim 300-500 charge cycles, but warranty on battery is only 6 months to a year, so even they don't even beleive in their own claims...!

I bought this Acer Aspire laptop last year, about 13 months later, as usual the battery is nearly toast. Magically, 1 month after warranty expired for some reason...

I guestimate my charge cycles to about 100, not even near their claims of 300-500...

A good laptop can last a solid 2-5 years, if I could get a battery to work properly for 2 years, I'd be happy.

So I'm thinking, should I leave the laptop plugged in at all times, and only use it on battery for emergency cases?

Every time you unplug the lap top and use battery power, then plug it back in to wall that is considered a charging cycle. The best way to extend a battery's life is to use the battery till it is almost dead, then charge it fully before use. Plugging it in for an hour charge, and then unplugging and using it is shortening the life of the battery.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Yes keeping a computer continuously plugged in will kill the battery faster. Batteries don't like to be charging constantly so once it's fully charged, continuing to charge it decreases it's life. As Fix that Glitch says above it will last the longest by running it till it's almost dead, fully recharging it and then repeating the cycle.