Question Does keeping the PC awake damaging something ?

Jan 22, 2019
I want to keep my PC awake , Only the monitor will go to sleep , Will it damage anything ? (Except The Dust .. )
Thank you .

USAFRet

Titan
What about "depreciation" i hope i got the word right ( "Waste" maybe )
Depreciation, as in the value of the parts over time?
Makes no difference. Once you take it out of the box and turn it on, it is "used".
Run it for a week and then turn it off for two years is exactly the same resale price as leaving it running 24/7 for two years.

The only part that someone can know the actual running hours is the drives.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jan 22, 2019
Depreciation, as in the value of the parts over time?
Makes no difference. Once you take it out of the box and turn it on, it is "used".
Run it for a week and then turn it off for two years is exactly the same resale price as leaving it running 24/7 for two years.

The only part that someone can know the actual running hours is the drives.
Tot value but the ability the perform as brand new .
I'm sorry just not sure whats the word for it.

USAFRet

Titan
"Ability to perform" does not count.
If I see a 2 year old part, I'm going to evaluate it as a 2 year old part.

If the seller says "I only used it for a week then stored it away", I'm going to think he is actually lying.
And it is still a 2 year old part and that is what I'd base my $$ offer on.

Jan 22, 2019
"Ability to perform" does not count.
If I see a 2 year old part, I'm going to evaluate it as a 2 year old part.

If the seller says "I only used it for a week then stored it away", I'm going to think he is actually lying.
And it is still a 2 year old part and that is what I'd base my $$ offer on.
I'm not talking about selling AT ALL
Let me explain myself .
Does the parts ( any of them ) will die earlier then expected ?
PSU ?
HDD ?
GPU ? so on...
not the worth of it .
Is there power ( ability to perform ) will reduce ?

Not depreciation, that's economics, I read WEAR, EFFICIENCY.

There will be wear on the HD (bearings), electronics (dried capacitors), but based that PC are obsolete every ~5 years, that will happen first, obsolescence, before above wears take hold.

I put my machines to sleep entirely when not in long use, it just bothers me to be sucking power for no reason, but am not obsessed about it. YMMV.

Reactions: fraud2

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
I think that the answer that he is looking for largely is based on substituting "depreciation" for "degradation."

The short answer is mostly good news. With software changes you may notice all kinds of unexpected hiccups- but the underlying hardware itself is likely fully functioning.

As far as hardware goes it tends to work- until it doesn't. In most cases the drop off isn't gradual. It's more like falling off a cliff.

Jan 22, 2019
I think that the answer that he is looking for largely is based on substituting "depreciation" for "degradation."

The short answer is mostly good news. With software changes you may notice all kinds of unexpected hiccups- but the underlying hardware itself is likely fully functioning.

As far as hardware goes it tends to work- until it doesn't. In most cases the drop off isn't gradual. It's more like falling off a cliff.
First , I really liked the "Falling off a cliff." metaphor .
If u are certain Just tell me How and i will accept that as an answer .

Jan 22, 2019
Not depreciation, that's economics, I read WEAR, EFFICIENCY.

There will be wear on the HD (bearings), electronics (dried capacitors), but based that PC are obsolete every ~5 years, that will happen first, obsolescence, before above wears take hold.

I put my machines to sleep entirely when not in long use, it just bothers me to be sucking power for no reason, but am not obsessed about it. YMMV.
Thank you For correcting me .
That's seems Kinda right .
And what about the Power as the - Performance /Ability of the components?

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Alright. Factor in a some more things and that may help.

It may be true that many older rigs begin to act like a high mileage car. However, that almost always is somewhere along the software end. You could have all manner of bugs, conflicts, bad updates, filled drives... but the hardware itself very likely is fully functioning and taking the blame for other sets of issues.

Few hardware deaths show a lot of actual signs of impending failure with the exception of old HDs which may get noisy. When that happens that is your cue to start migrating data and to shop for a new one.

In MOST cases when one or more hardware goes you were chugging along using your rig every day and then one day it will either barely boot, won't boot or even fire up at all and sits there like a big desk ornament. The key indicator of it being a hardware failure is when you hit the power button and nothing happens at all. With software failures you are more likely to at least get something and then you can attempt to put it back on track from there.

At that point one or more components have likely failed and the next paragraph can point out some hidden killers.

Another hidden factor are cheap no-name power supplies. Since that is distributing electricity that is going to be big. If your computer was a living thing it would be the heart. Consider the MOBO to be like the nervous system, the processor the brain and wires as arteries and veins. A heart attack or stroke could truly be the end and doing everything you reasonably can to protect it electronically can help keep things alive longer.

For that matter I won't plug any electronics that I love into anything less than a power conditioner- NOT a mere surge protector- which only protects against rare and singular spikes.

Having said that by the time a computer suffers from "high mileage" NOT due to hardware that still may be indicating that it may be time to get a new generation of hardware anyways. You could go through the tedious effort of trying to clean up or start over on the old hardware- but the hardware may not match today's needs or it could be nearing death. Sheer luck could cause it to die and conceal a software disaster if it happened at just the wrong time.

There is a key concept called the "silicon lottery." Until they can learn to manufacture things down to the molecular level even 2 pieces of hardware from the same assembly line may have ever-so-slight variations on the smallest level. Perhaps one may allow more overclocking. One may live 5 years. One may make it 10- and nobody has any practical way of knowing in advance what you are going to get.

IMO as far as putting your rig to sleep it is modestly helpful and as some of our brethren have said; YMMV.

It can save on a little electricity, a little wear(more so on the more moving parts) and cut the heat a little. If you have bad internal cooling the heat could shorten the lifespan of key components. Even with good cooling the heat has to go somewhere- and unless you have rigged up an elaborate system to dump the heat out of your home it likely is getting dumped into your room. That may be a bonus in the Winter- but it could be a hidden factor in causing your AC in the Summer to work harder.

Another factor is if you have a fast SSD to boot from sometimes it may be better just to turn it on and off more. If you have to boot from and old HD and have dreadful boot times then that option is a lot less practical to do as frequently.

When you do turn your rig off I recommend also hitting the button on the power conditioner and turning it off too. Then hit the power button on your rig to force it to discharge any potential electricity left in it. Now it can rest and any heat and magnetic fields built up can dissipate. Sleep is good- but it isn't as complete as off truly being off.

Lastly, try to space your electronics out. When they get too close their magnetic fields can interact, resonate and actually cause electronic havoc!

When you hear about periods of peak solar activity such as flares and CMEs headed towards Earth it may be time to go on a computing diet for a couple of days and start leaving key gear off. Those are frequent hidden mass killers of electronics. When a number of your electronics throughout the house start simultaneously acting strangely and/or dying and you have ruled out the other usual suspects that often times is the little-known cause.

I hope this helps you along your journey!

Last edited:
Reactions: fraud2
D

Deleted member 14196

all my machines at work run 24x7 so i have access to get in and work remote, any time of day/night. nothing bad happens. they just use more electricity. they last at least a decade or more of service in general.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
all my machines at work run 24x7 so i have access to get in and work remote, any time of day/night. nothing bad happens. they just use more electricity. they last at least a decade or more of service in general.

How you use them could be a factor though. Are they being pushed lightly/heavily, overclocked...?

I can only speak for how I carry on and use things- but I also have a vital program that goes stale if it stays on for more than 2-3 days. Even right now I am on a backup rig and I am pushing it to the brink. On my much better rig(which may also soon get a wave of improvements) that same use isn't such of a push.

Again, for many people YMMV.

D

Deleted member 14196

TLDR. the question was if it's ok to leave power on. Answer YES, it's totally ok. and it makes no diff what the PC is doing either. we have workstations running active test vms 24x7. heavily used will last just a tiny bit less long than idle systems I suppose, but as mentioned above, not by much.

TRENDING THREADS