[SOLVED] Does landline phone signal and TV/Internet signal go on the same cable?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Sorry if this question seems so basic, but I need to clear this up:

At home I have a Virgin Media set-top box for Cable TV, I also have a landline phone connected with a phone cable to the wall phone port.

I did a visual inspection to check if the phone cable and the internet coaxial cable are somehow connected to a box but the wall receptacles are stuck together, so I cannot now.

Question:
If I’m right, the landline phone port on the wall IS NOT in any way connected to the coaxial cable that my ISP (Virgin Media) installed. I mean: the phone wall socket is surely wired through the wall and out on the street to the PSTN network. Am I right?

Any clarification much welcome
View: https://imgur.com/a/1UszsPi

Last edited:
Solution
The term "Landline" has become blurred and abused - and depends on who 's using it and context.
The original Landline was orininated by MaBell in POTS(PlainOldTelephonsSystes) meaning Coppper connection to the location(your house). And the Primary advantage to LandLine was "The Phone still worked even when the Electricity goes out!"
The Landline carried it's own Power, to Ring and transmit the analog signal.
Now along the way to today, the term LandLine has widened. Many companies after De-Regulation of Regional Phone Companies(mid80's) , run COAX to your house/location, add a minibox(minimodem) converter to the end coax, with a RJ9 modularphoneplug plugin for the copper phone wires that run thru house -AND- that's still commonly called...

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
The term "Landline" has become blurred and abused - and depends on who 's using it and context.
The original Landline was orininated by MaBell in POTS(PlainOldTelephonsSystes) meaning Coppper connection to the location(your house). And the Primary advantage to LandLine was "The Phone still worked even when the Electricity goes out!"
Now along the way to today, the term LandLine has widened. Many companies after De-Regulation of Regional Phone Companies(mid80's) , run COAX to your house/location, add a minibox(minimodem) converter to the end coax, with a RJ9 modularphoneplug plugin for the copper phone wires that run thru house -AND- that's still commonly called a LandLine!
That LandLine is actually VOIP to the house, then converted to analog by the little minibox/moden converter box which DOES require a residential power supply/source, which then runs thru the copper/cat2/3 phone wires to the phones in your house. Well not really a LandLine per original defination, Cause if the electricity goes off - The Phones don't work!, one cant even call 911 if the electricity goes out. Yet that's still called a LandLine....
And that is exactly what i have in my house and Charter/Spectrum calls/Markets it a Landline.
VOIP to the house, Analog POTS wire In the house...

A LandLine - things change over time....

So the original question, does tv, phone, internet and maybe more All Go thru the same line? maybe, maybe not
If ya still have the old BellSystem box copper phoneline connection to your house, probably not...
If ya have cable and a phone or internet bundle then most probably all signals come thru the cable coax.
There's a quick way to find out - go to the main fuse box, shut off the BIG Main to kill power to the whole house - then go try to make a call!
If the phone still works with the electricity off - Ya got a real LandLine...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodion15
Solution
Most times you would know since there tends to always be a bill for a landline. If you get them from 2 different companies then it is a old style landline. If you are getting them as part of your internet espeically when it is not a DSL connection it likely some kind of "virtual" landline. It can be implemented many ways but I guess it really depends what your question is.

Reactions: Rodion15

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Now along the way to today, the term LandLine has widened. Many companies after De-Regulation of Regional Phone Companies(mid80's) , run COAX to your house/location, add a minibox(minimodem) converter to the end coax, with a RJ9 modularphoneplug plugin for the copper phone wires that run thru house -AND- that's still commonly called a LandLine!
That LandLine is actually VOIP to the house, then converted to analog by the little minibox/moden converter box which DOES require a residential power supply/source, which then runs thru the copper/cat2/3 phone wires to the phones in your house. Well not really a LandLine per original defination, Cause if the electricity goes off - The Phones don't work!, one cant even call 911 if the electricity goes out. Yet that's still called a LandLine....
And that is exactly what i have in my house and Charter/Spectrum calls/Markets it a Landline.
VOIP to the house, Analog POTS wire In the house...

A LandLine - things change over time....

So the original question, does tv, phone, internet and maybe more All Go thru the same line? maybe, maybe not
If ya still have the old BellSystem box copper phoneline connection to your house, probably not...
If ya have cable and a phone or internet bundle then most probably all signals come thru the cable coax.
There's a quick way to find out - go to the main fuse box, shut off the BIG Main to kill power to the whole house - then go try to make a call!
If the phone still works with the electricity off - Ya got a real LandLine...
Super-good answer, I've learnt some other stuff I wanted to know too. Many thanks!