Question Does laptop fan running at 100% speed while GAMING only is bad?

Skydaz

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Hello, I have a gaming laptop which operate at high temperature. So, when i play game, the temperature will reach around 85-90 degree celcius and the fan will turn at 5200-5300 rpm. The fan max speed is 6000 rpm which can be turn on via a dedicated button on my laptop.
The question is, will it decrease my fan life span that fast even if i only turn the fan at 100% while gaming only? If i set it to auto, it will turn at 5300 rpm, just a small difference there. So will it damage the fan?
P/s my laptop is used set, bought it this year, a msi model from 2016 i think.

I have read from the internet, when using fan at 100% speed will decrease it life span, but my question right now is i only turn it at max speed while gaming ( around 2 - 4 hours a day)

Lutfij

Titan
We know that the laptop is made by MSI but we don't know the model for the laptop. Also include the SKU to the laptop. Did you disassemble the laptop in order to see if the cooling vents are clogged up? It's also possible that a fresh application of thermal paste on the CPU will aid the temps.

To add, if you're working with a current gen processor, you might want to look at undervolting the CPU to get better temps.

Lastly, if the fan runs at near max speed, not only are you mechanically pushing dust into the vents the fans bearings can be shot.

Skydaz

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
We know that the laptop is made by MSI but we don't know the model for the laptop. Also include the SKU to the laptop. Did you disassemble the laptop in order to see if the cooling vents are clogged up? It's also possible that a fresh application of thermal paste on the CPU will aid the temps.

To add, if you're working with a current gen processor, you might want to look at undervolting the CPU to get better temps.

Lastly, if the fan runs at near max speed, not only are you mechanically pushing dust into the vents the fans bearings can be shot.
The laptop model is msi ge62 2qf apache pro, around 2016.
I7 5700hq gtx 970m
When cpu on load, temperature of cpu reach 90 but never beyond that, the TJ max is 105 dgree celcius.
I had apply new thermal paste and the temperature still the same. And i dont think i want to undervolt cause i tried it once, and it keep restarting again again amd again, when it restart, then a second kater it will restart again bcause of bsod haha