Question does limiting fps decrease stutters?

Nov 9, 2020
as i said in my old thread, i will get gtx 1650s with kinda weak cpu (intel core i5-4670t 2.3 ghz) maybe will cause bottleneck at 720P(my monitor max) so eg if i limit fps from 60+ to 40 that will prevent any sutter or freezing right?

The stuttering would happen when uneven frametimes between the gpu and cpu are met.

Making the computer sometimes render your avg framerate, but sometimes dip super low cause the cpu couldn't keep up with a specific frame.
try to limit the fps to your avg, and see how the stuttering happens. Then reduce the limit slowly, until you meet good performance with minor, or no stutters.

V-sync would help too, as it caps you at 60, then lows or raises cap as necessary, dynamically.

Reactions: StaterX and AJNameS
Perhaps.

Stutter isn't always just a direct relation of CPU/GPU. Amount of RAM and type of storage, internet connection with online games...it can be a lot of things.
Amount of ram would only matter if you have 100% ram usage, and the game itself is page filing, which would either render it unplayably slow, or usually crash.
Type of storage would only matter if you have a 20 year old hdd, or are playing a 200 gig game on a 256 gig sd card. any modern hard drive and obviously ssd can load games at least as fast as they need to be loaded.
Internet connection won't cause stutters, as the game will keep loading normally, but higher ping will make the game make physics calculations for the other players, but then go back and correct them when it sees it was wrong, or lag you out in general.
Packet loss would do a similar thing.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Amount of ram would only matter if you have 100% ram usage, and the game itself is page filing, which would either render it unplayably slow, or usually crash.
Type of storage would only matter if you have a 20 year old hdd, or are playing a 200 gig game on a 256 gig sd card. any modern hard drive and obviously ssd can load games at least as fast as they need to be loaded.
Internet connection won't cause stutters, as the game will keep loading normally, but higher ping will make the game make physics calculations for the other players, but then go back and correct them when it sees it was wrong, or lag you out in general.
Packet loss would do a similar thing.

I don't know what the OP is using aside from the two parts he listed.
I could readily imagine a situation where 4-8GB of RAM and a HDD would cause stutter. Seent it with my own eyes!

I don't know what the OP is using aside from the two parts he listed.
I could readily imagine a situation where 4-8GB of RAM and a HDD would cause stutter. Seent it with my own eyes!
Then you're wrong, or the hdd was faulty.

The only reason ram would be an issue is if it's 100% used, if you have 4 gigs, and your game takes, well, what you have left of it, meaning you have 100% ram usage, then it's a problem.
But say you have 4 gigs, but your game only takes 1, and you have 75% usage (after windows takes 2 or so) you would not have any problems.