[SOLVED] Does limiting fps increases gpu's life?

Oct 23, 2019
Hello.
So im abaut to buy a Power Color Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT gpu and i am wondering, if I limit the fps to 70 fps in a game, that could run like 150 fps. Do I expend my gpu's lifetime, beacuse I want to keep it as long as I can.
Thanks.

Solution
In theory it (probably) does, but you will never keep the GPU for long enough for it to actually make a difference. More often than not modern tech outlives its relevance (e.g. it becomes obsolete due to the progression of the industry before it actually dies or malfunctions). If this would be your only reason to limit FPS, don't do so, as you would be wasting potential performance for nothing. There are other benefits to limiting FPS though, if you do it smart, for example frametime consistency which makes things look way smoother.

pr0t0typ3

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
In theory it (probably) does, but you will never keep the GPU for long enough for it to actually make a difference. More often than not modern tech outlives its relevance (e.g. it becomes obsolete due to the progression of the industry before it actually dies or malfunctions). If this would be your only reason to limit FPS, don't do so, as you would be wasting potential performance for nothing. There are other benefits to limiting FPS though, if you do it smart, for example frametime consistency which makes things look way smoother.

Reactions: JanZobec
Solution
Oct 23, 2019
Thanks

Reactions: pr0t0typ3