[SOLVED] Does Linux come with Office-like software?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi. I'd like to switch to Linux because it is strongly recommended by a friend of mine , he comments that
experience with Linux is better than Windows because Windows will get lagged over time.

I'd like to know if Linux is pre-installed with Office-like software or requires a purchase?

Another question is if the document or excel created by Linux is fully compatible with Microsoft Office in Windows?

I am currently using my computer extensively to create and edit documents and excels.....

Solution
Purchase?
No.

There is LibreOffice and OpenOffice.
Very very similar but not quite exactly the same as MS Office.

Fully compatible? Close, but no.
For instance, MS Office Excel can have far more columns across than LibreOffice. Not sure what the actual number is, but I ran into that limitation last summer.

If your Excels also have extensive calculations and macros, you will also have issues going back and forth between MS Office and LibreOffice.

Again...mostly compatible, not fully compatible.

USAFRet

Titan
Purchase?
No.

There is LibreOffice and OpenOffice.
Very very similar but not quite exactly the same as MS Office.

Fully compatible? Close, but no.
For instance, MS Office Excel can have far more columns across than LibreOffice. Not sure what the actual number is, but I ran into that limitation last summer.

If your Excels also have extensive calculations and macros, you will also have issues going back and forth between MS Office and LibreOffice.

Again...mostly compatible, not fully compatible.

Solution
I like Linux
  • community support
  • not prone to junkware
  • takes some time to get used to and learn it
  • far less commercial software
  • driver support is limited (not every new device gets a Linux driver and not updated as frequently but today most do)
  • more options in terms of system control and hardware access
  • less GUI, more doing
  • very stable