Does low profile mean single slot?

bamj6

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

I meant the PCI wireless card. The EVGA 9600 GT is already seriously obstructing the first PCI slot

bamj6

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
I need someone that has my specific mobo with a dual slot card to confirm this

I don't want to waste money on a dual slot until then.

A dual slot card is a dual slot card. That means it will use the slot for the PCIE x16 and also cover ONE of your regular PCI slots. You will still have a PCI slot free for your Wifi card.
That low profile GTS 250 is very underclocked and over priced. It shouldn't be considered even if you did need a low profile card, which you don't. If you tell us your resolution and your budget we can recommend an appropriate card.

bamj6

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

Here are my specs, most are from the recent holiday build but here's my current stuff as of this moment

Q9550S
MSI G31TM-P21
500 watt Antec Earthwatts 2 6 pin pcie connectors
19 inch nonwidescreen LCD
1280x960 res
4 GB DDR2 ram
Windows 7 64 bit
500 GB IDE hard drive
SATA DVD+RW DL

I have a 450 watt Visiontek juicebox waiting to be used also

My only requirement from the dual slot is a the same length as my evga 9600 GT 8.5-9 inches

bamj6

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Are all dual slot cards the same height? The 5770 according to TOMS Hardware is equal to the gtx 260 AKA the single slot Razor which only Ebay has. The price from newegg is a lot more attractive though

I will not give up my wireless PCI card though ti the poster who said i could get a usb wireless

Most all cards in the standard form factor have the same height measured from the motherboard. They vary in length and thickness. Many cards come with an aftermarket cooler like the gigabyte card I linked to before and are not advertised as dual slot, although they take the space, since they have a single retention bracket instead of the double one that is standard on the dual slot cards. But like jyjjy said the definition of a dual slot card is that it is going to block the next slot below the graphics slot and no more.

The HD5770 is a good choice. It's very power efficient and DX11 compatible. It's overkill for your resolution so it should last you a good long while or serve you well if you get a better monitor.

bamj6

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
bump

I got my Diamond x571 sound card from my old rig to work in my sig rig and windows 7. No more integrated sound

I will not get a dual slot GPU.

When I do it will be the Galaxy Razor GTX 260 single slot, the best of the single slots unless the new Redwoods or NVIDIA's upcoming series has a single slot that has better performance than gtx 260.