Does monitor affect gaming??that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hshah

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi,

I am going to be building a pretty good gaming rig, and i plan to get the MX239H two of those because they have really slim bezels and it will look good when it is on dual display however i was wondering do i really need a 'gaming monitor' or will this monitor be fine? because i dant want the money put into my graphics card to be wasted!

THanks

EzioAs

Distinguished
60Hz monitor crap? I think that's more of a subjective thing. There's quite a lot of people don't mind gaming at 60Hz monitor. Plus, to get anything past 60fps on demanding games with ultra settings will be very hard, one would need a pretty beastly machine which not everyone would spend so high to get.

fudoka711

Distinguished
Yea, its really all subjective. I use 60Hz monitors and I don't see a need to get a 120Hz one.

Also, as for response times, I don't notice a difference between my 2ms TN and 6ms IPS monitors. The IPS just looks better cuz its an IPS.

It really all depends on your eyes and how you want your games to look. If you walk into best buy or frys and look at 60hz vs 120hz monitors, 2ms-8ms, TN vs IPS - you can then get an idea of what type of monitor suits your needs.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Even though 120Hz monitor is preferred, especially in competitive FPS, keep in mind that you'll need twice as powerful graphics card to reap the full benefit of having it.

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
You are going to want 3 monitors or one. And unless you are REALLY picky about display just get nice IPS displays. Dont worry about 120Hz. 3 monitors is great but let me tell you a 27" or 30" monitor at 2560x1440 or 2560 x 1600 resolution look AMAZING and is much less trouble in my opinion.

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
But keep in mind if you are building a rig, you dont need to go too beastly to game on ultra settings on one "1080p" monitor.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What does affect gaming performance is the resolution being used and the refresh rates. Physical size of a display is not a factor. It is a matter of pixels and how fast those pixels refresh themselves and how many the system needs to manipulate.

What are the specs for the system in question here?

I have always thought investments in good monitors worthwhile ..... I have a Eizo / Nanao CRT upstairs that was $2k that I bought in the 1990's and is still in every day use on a CAD box. With today's "flat" screens however, products that excel in one area are somewhat gimped in others. People oft think that by spending more on an IPS panel, they are getting a better "all around" monitor and in same respects (i.e. viewing angle) that is very true.

For example, I have a Dell U2710 w/ IPS panel upstairs which is absolutely superb for photo editing....but it pales next to an Asus 120hz monitor that is half its price in the next room in gaming. The U2710 is pretty good at gaming but simply not up to the Asus....I would not do photo editing on the Asus however as the colors appear less natural and appear over saturated. Your sister's "glamor" shot on the Dell has the facial makeup job looking "almost natural" whereas on the TN panel, the makeup job would have Dad saying she "looks like a hooker".

In gaming though, colors are sharper and brighter on the cheaper screen and no ghosting at all. I can see some ghosting on the Dell on more GFX challenging games but I have to look for it.

Here's a review of Dell's latest and greatest "Advanced High Performance" IPS screen

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2713h.htm#gaming

While these pixel response tests show the U2713H to have pretty fast transitions and low levels of motion blur, there is something else going on as well here which can't be picked out by the camera. All of these other TN Film models are running at 120Hz refresh rates, which allows for improved 120fps frame rates and the support of 3D stereoscopic content as well. This can really help improve smoothness and the overall gaming experience so these screens still have the edge when it comes to fast gaming. From a pixel response point of view the U2413 performed well, although the overshoot in certain transitions was severe. There are some other areas you still need to think about when it comes to high end gaming. It couldn't keep up with the very fast TN Film models with 120Hz support.

The responsiveness of the U2713H was pretty good overall. We had measured a pretty low average G2G response time of 7.2ms which was good, although we'd seen some high overshoot in certain transitions, especially when changing from dark to very bright / white shades. In practice it didn't feel quite as fast overall as the U2713HM model or some of the other popular PLS-based models we've tested. Keep in mind though that this is aimed at higher end uses and the semi-professional market and so the performance for gaming is obviously not a number 1 priority for Dell. It should still be perfectly adequate for most gaming, but those wanting to play fast FPS or competitive games may want to consider some of the more mainstream (and more suitable) models available, or better still, some of the 120Hz compatible displays out there.

named0013

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Sitting on my desk right now is a Sony Playstation 3d Display (60hz on PC) and a Benq xl2420t (120hz). 120hz does make a difference under the right conditions. The single largest difference I've noticed between these two displays is that the Sony has serious screen tearing that needs to be addressed with Vsync while the Benq seems to not tear no matter how many FPS I'm getting. Also, I really don't like running vsync so I really like the Benq.

I'm not saying that all 60hz panels tear like mad, just that the one on my desk does. Tearing drives me nuts.

If your computer can render at 120FPS and your monitor can refresh at 120hz games become liquid smooth, it's really quite remarkable. If you gamed in the 90's or on CRTs you can actually get some crazy deja vu at times. Especially with Valve releasing new CS versions...

To answer your question then, the monitor you choose can make a big difference in your experience, but finding the correct monitor for your rig depends on a lot of factors. If your computer is going to be used primarily for gaming and you're willing to pay extra for a TN panel that refreshes more frequently (a "gaming" montior), IMO, it's worth it. If your computer is going to be more "general use" and you're not going to throw a lot of money at GPU(s) then you're probably better off with the IPS panel you already have.

I've gamed on IPS panels, it's fine. Colors are nice i guess. 120hz has made a snob out of me however; people react differently to the effect.

I'm just saying if you had one that did all of those it wouldn't be so great. Obviously its hard to find a good 120Hz display since they're all TN, in the same way if you get one with accurate colours chances are its a IPS or other and wont do 120Hz.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Personally, I just switched from a basic Vizio 22" 1080p LED TV to an Asus VS248H-P monitor at christmas time and I have seen a HUGE difference in the level of immersion due to the better color reproduction, and honestly, I have ALWAYS played with 60hz monitors and never had a problem. As far as running two monitors, as long as the game is on one and the other is a secondary display (My secondary displays teamspeak and various hardware monitors) you should be fine.

G

P_500.jpg

Full HD AH-IPS LED-backlit and Frameless Monitor
Full HD AH-IPS LED display with 178° wide-view angle in frameless design for edge-to-edge brilliance
MX239H
Panel Size: Wide Screen 23.0"(58.4cm) 16:9
Panel Type : AH-IPS
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Full HD 1080P : Yes
Pixel Pitch : 0.2652mm
Brightness(Max) : 250 cd/㎡
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 5ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M

thats fine though some folks prefer a 2ms response time . meh i haven't had one so i can't tell you the difference, but it ought to be plenty good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.