Does monitor connection change the display?

Migit78

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I'm building a PC with duel monitors. However the monitors don't match as they have uses.
One is a gaming monitor 144mhz refresh rate 1ms response etc.
And the other is a IPS monitor to be used for Video requirements etc.

My query is, both monitors have multiple connection variations
The gaming one having: DisplayPort, Dual-link DVI-D, and HDMI
And the IPS: HDMI, D-Sub, DisplayPort and DVI-D

When connecting the monitors to my GPU, does it matter which connections I use?
Will one type give me a better experience than the others etc?

Solution
The 780ti has the ability to run the screens without any problems. You could even run VGA if you wanted to via the DVI -> VGA adapter(but no reason to do that). You could use DVI for each screen if that is the cables they come with as well. HDMI started as single link DVI + Audio(spdif) for television/audio use. It has since taken off along with the "1080p" standard that sort of downgraded computer resolutions for a while.

Because of this Single link DVI and HDMI devices tend to be interoperable.

You will want dual link to get the refresh for your.

HDMI needed to increase the clock rate because they do not have extra data links to use. This is how you can get 3D or even 120hz+ over HDMI at 1920 x 1080. Because older cards did not...
You will get slightly better video quality(sharper text on screen) out of the Digital formats(DVI/HDMI/DP). so do NOT use VGA unless you have to.

For higher refresh rates(120/140hz) you need a fairly newer HDMI revision(depends on the card you use). Dual Link DVI is very common and can deal with your requirements without any issues.

Displayport should have no issues either. It can even use used to chain monitors with the right hardware.

If you have speakers in the screen, they can get audio with HDMI or DisplayPort, but not DVI or VGA.

If you have normal 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 screens, use DVI for the fast one and HDMI for the IPS screen. I am guessing neither screen with come with a DisplayPort cable.

Please note the HDMI connection may result in the image on the screen not filling the full screen or over extending the screen. This is normal and can be fixed within the cards drivers control panel. The option is called overscan.

Migit78

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

Okay thanks heaps for that.
The GPU i'm looking at using is a GTX 780Ti. Im assuming that will have the access to run both monitors well?

Thats good to know

The 780ti has the ability to run the screens without any problems. You could even run VGA if you wanted to via the DVI -> VGA adapter(but no reason to do that). You could use DVI for each screen if that is the cables they come with as well. HDMI started as single link DVI + Audio(spdif) for television/audio use. It has since taken off along with the "1080p" standard that sort of downgraded computer resolutions for a while.

Because of this Single link DVI and HDMI devices tend to be interoperable.

You will want dual link to get the refresh for your.

HDMI needed to increase the clock rate because they do not have extra data links to use. This is how you can get 3D or even 120hz+ over HDMI at 1920 x 1080. Because older cards did not have the ability to run the higher clock rates, they would not have been able to run 3D or 120hz.

Either way, in your case almost any(I do not think you will get 144hhz out of VGA) connection setup will work.

Solution