Does more RAM equate to Higher Performance?

LilJB

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Hi Y'all! I have a question about RAM! I currently have a laptop with Nvidia Geforce 930MX. Does adding more RAM (for example, an 8GB RAM) make gaming more enjoyable? will a 16GB RAM make a GPU like 930MX Perform better with games?

Solution

Just a comment that in the rare circumstance that something besides gaming is consuming system resources and thus slowing down the entire system. Forget I said it, it is not something to worry about.
The 930MX does not share system RAM but rather has its own on-chip VRAM. So upgrading the system RAM has no effect on the GPU other than removing any CPU/system bottlenecks. Chances are that you don't have that(this can be checked with Windows Task Manager)

LilJB

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017

hi sir! what do you mean by removing "any CPU/system bottlenecks"? thanks for your answer

Just a comment that in the rare circumstance that something besides gaming is consuming system resources and thus slowing down the entire system. Forget I said it, it is not something to worry about.

Solution

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

The GPU will actually use some of the system ram if the VRAM is full. Accessing data from the ram to GPU is much slower than VRAM. Also, if the system ram gets full, it will make a page file on the SSD/hdd where data can go to, which is even slower.