[SOLVED] Does Motherboard Raid 1 work on TR3 TRX40 motherboards?

spikeysonic

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
Does Motherboard Raid 1 work on TR3 TRX40 motherboards?

just seen this.

Having had hard drive failure before causing me catastrophic problems and setting me back tow years as it have all my portfolio and uni work for four years on it and had several external drives fail having been considered a RAID 1 4t sea gate ironwolf essential

This would also get an onlne or other method added ot it when affordable

But what are your experiences of motherboard based raid 1 as a level 1 backup?

Solution
I agree 100% with the linked article.
RAID is not a backup.

I had a drive fail last year. 960GB SSD, 605GB data on it.
Dead and gone.
Slot in a new drive, click click with Macrium Reflect, all 605GB data recovered exactly as it was at 4AM that morning when the nightly incremental backup ran.

A comprehensive backup routine not only protects against physical drive fail, but also all the other forms of data loss. Virus, ransomware, accidental deletion, etc, etc...

USAFRet

Titan
I agree 100% with the linked article.
RAID is not a backup.

I had a drive fail last year. 960GB SSD, 605GB data on it.
Dead and gone.
Slot in a new drive, click click with Macrium Reflect, all 605GB data recovered exactly as it was at 4AM that morning when the nightly incremental backup ran.

A comprehensive backup routine not only protects against physical drive fail, but also all the other forms of data loss. Virus, ransomware, accidental deletion, etc, etc...

Solution

spikeysonic

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
Thanks

Where was it backed up from?

For reasons below I am vary weary of using external hard drives as a backup and thought having one in the system in raid one would be a safer bet

Not sure how much 2B or regular incremental backup costs a month or how much space I havw on dropbox... how would this be set u and are hard drive hubs I thing safer knock wise to extermal drives?

I have had catastrophic hard drive failures. Including the 2 TB external drive with most of my 4 years university work on it, several other external drives. The laptop only had 1 TB at that time I think. l've had a good 3 x 1 tb external hard drives with other content on them I had been using as back ups. These either just went or may have been a result of a knock. Only one external drive remains and thats one in a rubber case , 1TB and its pretty much full up and the only back up I have.

Also I have effectively been saving for this system since July 2017. Basically I had been attending some top prop making courses and had purchased several hundred outs of materials to practice with but shortly after the July 2017 by portfolio website was up for renewal and they were seriously over charging so I cancelled the subscription and had just copied and taken it all down when my laptop and its hard drive failed with all on it along with everything else on it and nothing had been backed up for several months.

This has effectually killed chances of a career in this ares for a couple of years as I managed to get some sort of recovery software working on the hard drive but it tool over a month to extract stuff from the drive which I had to leave along.

When this finished all I got were thousands of folders with any recovered files all mixed up with no file structure at all only unnamed pdfs, jpegs, tiff and word files. Most work had been in Indesign files.

More so these were not simply what had been on there, but every thumbnail, part version of images files, in all manner of sizes, unnamed in unnamed random folders, and what appeared to have been every file that had ever been trashed and leads of stuff I had never seen,.

The only way to work out what the Jpegs were was from their thumbnails but when opened these could be any size from a stamp size button to large jpgs and there must have been hundreds of each and many only part versions... to try and go through all these and isolate what was useful then get each in some sort or folders with the different versions of each took several months more and thats as they had thumbnails, the pdf and word files did not so had to on through those one at a time, I still have 10s of thousands to try and find things like an assignment, most likely earlier version of them..

This on what had been my mothers low spec laptop and still on it a think pad Edge i3 machine.

Its 500gb hard drive is stuffed too with only a few gigs left.

After that it till till Christmas 2018 before I could save up for a 40 inch 4k TV to use as a second monitor for the laptop as TV also failed during that time, and only after that could get going building a new portfolio which was not done toll July 2018. Saved roughly enough to look into a I9 or Threadripper 2 system in March 2019 but that got chipped away and ran into the ip single thread or Threadripper multi-thread argument for a couple of months before finding out the new Threadripper system to come so waited figuring it would be good with both and been researching the which of the new new motherboards (or even ryzen 3950x system) to go for plus coolers, which out of Quadro or Geforce argument ( and want to get this finally done asap..).

Hence (sorry about the story above) why I was so keen on a raid 1 array as one of the most important components as 1st level back up before having a secondary on line or safer external system with its own back up.

USAFRet

Titan
Where was it backed up from?

I use Macrium Reflect. All my systems run at least an Incremental every night (or weekly as needed), to my NAS box. That could just as easily be an external drive.

In case of need, slot in a new drive, and recover from the particular date desired.
Or, mount a particular image as a drive, and recover a single file.

My procedures have changed only slightly since this thread, but the same concept:

spikeysonic

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
I use Macrium Reflect. All my systems run at least an Incremental every night (or weekly as needed), to my NAS box. That could just as easily be an external drive.

In case of need, slot in a new drive, and recover from the particular date desired.
Or, mount a particular image as a drive, and recover a single file.

My procedures have changed only slightly since this thread, but the same concept:

Are nas boxes more secure for than an external drive from say PC world on a USB cable? Say from knocks?