[SOLVED] Does moving Windows 10 to an ssd instantly make everything faster or do I have to transfer all my files?

Helpmeplease345

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
I have a 240gb ssd, and 500gb hard drive. I have never used the ssd, and I know that moving stuff to an ssd makes everything feel much snappier, but do I only have to transfer windows 10, or do I have to transfer all my files?

Solution
You can't just "move" windows. you need to reinstall.

Download windows 10 to a usb stick.
Disconnect your HDD during the install. If you leave the HDD connected, windows will put a hidden recovery partition on the HDD and you will not be able to boot without it.

install windows on the ssd.
You can then reconnect your HDD and your data files will still be there.
You can erase anything you want on the HDD.

You will need to reinstall any apps on either device.

If you had some steam games installed, there is a procedure for not needing to reinstall, but I do not know how that works. Best to research that before you start.

Helpmeplease345

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
Ask yourself this: What has a (long) loading time? That you want to move to an SSD.
Some games do. Movies really don't. Windows bootup will be sped up by an SSD.
Leave 10% of the capacity free. If you fill the SSD to 100%, the performance will tank.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op if you want to read

Windows pagefile is best to place on harddrive.
2 questions - If I don't care about the boot up time for windows 10, should I even bother moving windows 10 to an ssd, does moving windows 10 onto an ssd come with any other perks?

If I move google chrome to an ssd, does everything feel snappier or only when I launch the app?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
2 questions - If I don't care about the boot up time for windows 10, should I even bother moving windows 10 to an ssd, does moving windows 10 onto an ssd come with any other perks?

If I move google chrome to an ssd, does everything feel snappier or only when I launch the app?
Off the top of my head, I can't think of many other reasons than Windows bootup other than all the programs tend to be on Win partition which means all programs launch faster as well. In Program Files-folders.

Internet browsing wouldn't necessarily be faster because you still have to download the pages.
Other than 'temporary internet files' which the browser saves because we tend to go to the same pages, those will be loaded off SSD/HDD.
Loading up Chrome should be faster but does it matter?

If you have windows c drive on a ssd, everything will be quicker.
Once you use a ssd, you will never again run without one.
The problem is, that you may have to do a clean install of windows on the ssd.
That also implies that you will have to reinstall apps that use the registry.

If the used space on the 500gb HDD is less than the capacity of the ssd, you may be able to use a clone or migration utility to make the move.

What is the make of the ssd?

Helpmeplease345

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
If you have windows c drive on a ssd, everything will be quicker.
Once you use a ssd, you will never again run without one.
The problem is, that you may have to do a clean install of windows on the ssd.
That also implies that you will have to reinstall apps that use the registry.

If the used space on the 500gb HDD is less than the capacity of the ssd, you may be able to use a clone or migration utility to make the move.

What is the make of the ssd?
I have a kingston 240gb ssd a400. I don't mind losing any of my files. How do I move my windows 10 onto an ssd?

You can't just "move" windows. you need to reinstall.

Download windows 10 to a usb stick.
Disconnect your HDD during the install. If you leave the HDD connected, windows will put a hidden recovery partition on the HDD and you will not be able to boot without it.

install windows on the ssd.
You can then reconnect your HDD and your data files will still be there.
You can erase anything you want on the HDD.

You will need to reinstall any apps on either device.

If you had some steam games installed, there is a procedure for not needing to reinstall, but I do not know how that works. Best to research that before you start.

Solution