[SOLVED] Does msi tomahawk b450 work with ryzen 5 3600?

Huzaifaarshad

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
I have a pc with msi b450 tomahawk with ryzen 5 2600 and now I wat to upgrade my cpu with ryzen 5 3600
So my question is that does ryzen 3600 work well with tomahawk b450 (not max edition) or will I get less performance out of it?

And I am also curious about the upgradability of my cpu that how far I can go with this motherboard?

THANKS

Solution
I have a pc with msi b450 tomahawk with ryzen 5 2600 and now I wat to upgrade my cpu with ryzen 5 3600
So my question is that does ryzen 3600 work well with tomahawk b450 (not max edition) or will I get less performance out of it?

And I am also curious about the upgradability of my cpu that how far I can go with this motherboard?

THANKS

Work well? yes...Tomahawk motherboards were among the best B450 boards and worked well even with 3950X CPU's. I'm pretty sure MSI's provided an updated BIOS to work even with 3rd gen (5000 series) CPU's so there is plenty of upgrade left for you after this one.

But being a non-Max board you must update BIOS so it will work with a 3600 CPU and it will be a version without the fancy...

THANKS
Yes it should, starting with BIOS 7C02v18

THANKS
Here's the support list for the mobo.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-tomahawk/support#cpu

You might want to stay with a 65w cpu upgrade just to keep the variables down.

Also as mentioned the bios level......it's shown on the support page what is needed.

Reactions: Huzaifaarshad

THANKS

Work well? yes...Tomahawk motherboards were among the best B450 boards and worked well even with 3950X CPU's. I'm pretty sure MSI's provided an updated BIOS to work even with 3rd gen (5000 series) CPU's so there is plenty of upgrade left for you after this one.

But being a non-Max board you must update BIOS so it will work with a 3600 CPU and it will be a version without the fancy graphical interface. It's still fully featured just all text and no saving of settings profiles except to USB stick drive. Do the update with your 2600 still in the system, then remove it to install the 3600. Be sure to reset CMOS...before and after the update and CPU swap just to be sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huzaifaarshad
Solution