Question Does multiple monitors impact GPU performance?

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I am building a new PC with a 2080ti so I can push my VR to the max. I also have three monitors and a TV connected to my PC. I do not game across multiple monitors, they just happen to be on when I game and sometimes I will have web pages open or such. Does it put much strain on the GPU to have that many monitors being displayed simultaneously? Would it make an impact if I disconnected them when attempting to push my GPU to its max?

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, additional displays will impact the GPU's performance. Each display has pixels that the GPU manages. More pixels, puts more processing load on the GPU.
That makes sense. If I am doing anything very graphically intensive I'll shut off the other monitors.

I assume that also applies if a monitor is duplicated? meaning I have my main display being mirrored on the TV?

Also, If I shut off the monitor through the monitor's power button, does the PC recognize that and stop sending a signal or do I need to adjust the PC display setting to disable the monitor?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That makes sense. If I am doing anything very graphically intensive I'll shut off the other monitors.

I assume that also applies if a monitor is duplicated? meaning I have my main display being mirrored on the TV?

Also, If I shut off the monitor through the monitor's power button, does the PC recognize that and stop sending a signal or do I need to adjust the PC display setting to disable the monitor?
Pixels are pixels, even if duplicated. When you turn off the additional displays, I assume Windows no longer "sees" them, so they would not affect your GPU processing load.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS