[SOLVED] Does my 5950x need 1 or 2 x 8 pin power connectors?

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys

I just got my 5950x up and running with a X570 Meg Unify (MSI).

The motherboard has 2 x 8 pin connectors for the CPU. I only have 1 plugged in as that's all my current PSU has.

Do I need to be using a PSU with 2 x 8 pin connectors for this CPU?

Cheers, Andrew

Solution
The bottom line is, your CPU is never going to pull enough power that it would REQUIRE more than what can be supplied under a normal load. Running PBO is not a normal configuration despite the fact that most systems will come with it enabled by default.

As I said before, you are most likely fine with the single 4+4 EPS12v connector, but if it were MY system, I'd want a PSU that has both 4+4 connectors, just in case, because if it ever DOES need more you might find that the cable or motherboard COULD end up letting a little "magic smoke" out. That's highly unlikely, but potentially possible. My recommendation would be if you are going to stick with the unit you have, disable PBO. If you want to run PBO or manually overclock, get a...
It would be "better", and I'd highly recommend GETTING a PSU that has the second set of EPS/CPU 4+4 pin connections, but on a fundamental level those are really only technically required for extreme overclocking. I can't say anything for sure yet about the 5000 series but I HAVE seen a 3950x that had some problems under very heavy loads when boosted, because it didn't have the additional EPS connector. Installing a newer PSU that had that, a QUALITY PSU, resolved the issue.

So, it's probably "ok" for now, but I'd get a better unit ASAP. What is the model of your current power supply?

Reactions: fobos8

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
What is the model of your current power supply?

Thanks Darkbreeze i currently (no pun intended) have a corsair tx650m leftover from a 3700x build.

Its a work PC i have no intention to seriously overclock but i may use PBO.

Should i get a PSU with 2 x 8 pin CPU plugs?

Last edited:
The bottom line is, your CPU is never going to pull enough power that it would REQUIRE more than what can be supplied under a normal load. Running PBO is not a normal configuration despite the fact that most systems will come with it enabled by default.

As I said before, you are most likely fine with the single 4+4 EPS12v connector, but if it were MY system, I'd want a PSU that has both 4+4 connectors, just in case, because if it ever DOES need more you might find that the cable or motherboard COULD end up letting a little "magic smoke" out. That's highly unlikely, but potentially possible. My recommendation would be if you are going to stick with the unit you have, disable PBO. If you want to run PBO or manually overclock, get a higher capacity unit with dual EPS12v 4+4 cables and use them.

Reactions: fobos8
Solution

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019

As I said before, you are most likely fine with the single 4+4 EPS12v connector, but if it were MY system, I'd want a PSU that has both 4+4 connectors, just in case, because if it ever DOES need more you might find that the cable or motherboard COULD end up letting a little "magic smoke" out. That's highly unlikely, but potentially possible. My recommendation would be if you are going to stick with the unit you have, disable PBO. If you want to run PBO or manually overclock, get a higher capacity unit with dual EPS12v 4+4 cables and use them.

Thanks, will go for it. My 650 watt can become the spare.

Cheers, Andrew

That's probably a good plan.