Does my ASUS Z170-P motherboard support Samsung 960 Evo 240GB?

anilkuriakose

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Last year I upgraded my old PC by replacing all components except Hard drive. I did not know SSDs could improve the overall performance of a PC to that extent. Anyway a couple of days ago my cousin advised me to buy an SSD. I made a small research and found out that M.2 NVMe SSDs are the trend these days. My motherboard has 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode), and on Asus website my motherboard is listed as supporting NVMe PCI-E storage devices. But I can not find options in bios as mentioned in above posts, such as changing SATA mode to SATA express/M.2, And M.2 RAID related options. I'm confused that whether this motherboard really support NVMe m.2 devices. I searched on the internet a lot and this ( https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asus-z170-p-and-intel-6-ssd.2491763/) thread made me really sad. I have three options:
1) sell my motherboard on eBay at a huge loss and buy a new model
2) Buy a SATA SSD
3) Buy Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB and give it a try hoping that it will work with my motherboard.
What really confuses me is, near the m.2 socket on my motherboard and on the retail box it is printed that "M.2 : supports 32 Gb/s PCI-e 3.0 x4". Shouldn't​ that be NVMe compatible since AHCI does not support such high bandwidths? But as per the advice given to the guy (in the link) by Asus technical support, it doesn't support Intel 600p which is an NVMe M.2. But interestingly Intel lists my motherboard as a compatible device for Intel 600p NVMe ssd (see in the link) . Please help me decide. Will my ASUS Z170-p motherboard be compatible with Samsung 960 Evo?

anilkuriakose

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from anilkuriakose : "Does my ASUS Z170-P motherboard support Samsung 960 Evo 240GB?"

Last year I upgraded my old PC by replacing all components except Hard drive. I did not know SSDs could improve the overall performance of a PC to that extent. Anyway a couple of days ago my cousin advised me to buy an SSD. I made a small research and found out that M.2 NVMe SSDs are the trend these days. My motherboard has 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode), and on Asus website my motherboard is listed as supporting NVMe PCI-E storage devices. But I can not find options in bios as mentioned in above posts, such as changing SATA mode to SATA express/M.2, And M.2 RAID related options. I'm confused that whether this motherboard really support NVMe m.2 devices. I searched on the internet a lot and this ( https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asus-z170-p-and-intel-6-ssd.2491763/) thread made me really sad. I have three options:
1) sell my motherboard on eBay at a huge loss and buy a new model
2) Buy a SATA SSD
3) Buy Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB and give it a try hoping that it will work with my motherboard.
What really confuses me is, near the m.2 socket on my motherboard and on the retail box it is printed that "M.2 : supports 32 Gb/s PCI-e 3.0 x4". Shouldn't​ that be NVMe compatible since AHCI does not support such high bandwidths? But as per the advice given to the guy (in the link) by Asus technical support, it doesn't support Intel 600p which is an NVMe M.2. But interestingly Intel lists my motherboard as a compatible device for Intel 600p NVMe ssd (see in the link) . Please help me decide. Will my ASUS Z170-p motherboard be compatible with Samsung 960 Evo?

hibou53

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

hibou53

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Samsung 960 Evo 240GB...yes if you buy an adaptor (Hyper M.2 X4 Mini) from Asus and plug it on the PCIe Card x4 and then you will increase 5 time fster than Sata SSD. otherwise use the Samsung 850 EVO in your M.2 i have the same Motherboard.
PS: you can install also 2 Hyper M.2 card in PCIe and put them in raid 0.
there also a kit call Hyper kit to convert M.2 to a socket U.2 but SSD with U.2 socket are twice the price of SSD.