Does my computer support windows 7?

Paulusheart

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I would like to install windows 7 on my old computer: core 2 duo e6400 2.13 Ghz. 3gb DDR2 Ram, Nvidia gt 640. Mobo DELL 0WG855. Is this system able to run windows 7? Is 32 bit better than 64 in this case?

Solution
having had ran windows 7 on a stock dell OEM board an an E6600, I would feel inclined to say it will work. I would just get 64 bit, as 32 bit is not going to help it really, and when you upgrade down the road you will have a more useful windows 7 product key. (64 bit allows over 4GB of RAM and more software support)
having had ran windows 7 on a stock dell OEM board an an E6600, I would feel inclined to say it will work. I would just get 64 bit, as 32 bit is not going to help it really, and when you upgrade down the road you will have a more useful windows 7 product key. (64 bit allows over 4GB of RAM and more software support)

Solution

Paulusheart

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Thanks that's good news.
Do I need to do reinstall in some 'special way' because of dell board?

pretty much if you are reusing the hard drive, just take off you important files ( do not bother with software) and then pop in the installer disc and boot from it, then use it to wipe the drive and install windows 7. if you have a fresh Hard drive, then pop it in and then put in the installer disc and once again boot from it and install it on the HDD.

Bit of advice, before you wipe any existing working os on the computer.

Find all of the drivers required for the motherboard, such as the chip set sound driver, and mostly important the Ethernet driver for the motherboard.

Download the correct driver bit version depending on what version of windows 7 you intend to install 32bit, or 64 bit windows 7.
Paul.

Burn the drivers to a disk, or put them on a usb flash drive.