Does my computers power supply have enough wattage?

Jan 20, 2019
I built my gaming pc 3 weeks ago. Here are the specs
1. Asrock AB350M Micro motherboard
2. AMD Ryzen 3 1200 CPU
3.1 stick of G.SKILL ripjaw 8GB ddr4 RAM with one more stick on the way to make 16GB
4.EVGA GTX 780 SC Video card
5. 4x case fans
6. Team Group 240GB SSD
7.Kingston 240GB SSD
8. Western Digital 500GB HDD
9.CoolerMaste q300l case
10. EVGA 450BT Power supply
I have been gaming solidly all night long for hours playing games like Rainbow Six Siege, Space Engineers and Ring of Elysium. CS GO and Insurgency. I have had no problems yet. And I do not overclock. But in the back of my mind i think about overclocking cpu and ram a little in the future.
Heres some pics
Any advice is much appreciated and thank you. Shaky Shane

b7KE5bB.jpg

U6wdksM.jpg

Solution
Definitely not enough. The 780 was fairly power hungry and recommended 600w. Add to that the low quality of your unit. My 780 recommended a 42A 12v rail, your psu has only 35A. Using that psu risks complete psu failure and possible damage to other components.

SkyStormy

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
It works, but to get maximum performance it's highly recommended to get at least 600 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 42 Amp on the +12 volt rail, otherwise there is a risk of poor performance, display problems, file corruptions due to lack of power to hard drive, BSOD, premature death of hardware components like PSU, graphics card, etc.. But the risk is only there when you play very graphically intensive games that stress out the whole system. I suggest you to do a stress test and see how system behaves. Try HeavyLoad. You have a very nice system. I am shocked seeing you picked 450W PSU for GTX 780 SC. Also as an alternative suggestion you can go for GTX 1060. It only requires 400W, and faster than 780.!

I wouldn't run a stress test. Stress tests can put higher than real world load on a system, if the psu fails under such a test there is a risk of killing other parts too.

SkyStormy

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

Stress tests are quite necessary to find out the maximum length you can go with your system. If the system functions properly with a stress test, then it should work with any application. No, it doesn't damage them immediately, this PSU has Heavy-duty protections, including OVP (Over Voltage Protection), UVP (Under Voltage Protection), OCP (Over Current Protection), OPP (Over Power Protection), and SCP (Short Circuit Protection). However, keep using not adequate power for a prolonged time can be harmful to the other components. His system works so far, because in practice entire system with GTX 780 SC consume maximum 415W according to anandtech, but that's when playing certain games with certain hardware configuration, not when the system is stressed out, when it has different hardware, then it can go up and down. This is why it's recommended to have 600W, but it's not mandatory. The only way to find out whether this is enough or not is doing a stress test. When doing stress, if the system exhibits abnormal behavior, then go ahead and purchase a higher PSU, otherwise it's a waste of time and money. Many people often purchase so higher PSUs, but they are not often necessary. Hardware manufacturers often state what is best for the graphics card when it's used in high end systems, not when it's used with minimum amount of components. So better do a stress test and see how system behaves. It doesn't damage the hardware, it will automatically restart or shutdown. in worst case the PSU will probably malfunction.

Solution

SkyStormy

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

Not reduce, it eliminates the risks that's why those protections are there. also undervolting doesn't damage the components, the computer just stops working, restarts or PSU may not work in worst case, but it's rare. Nothing happens to other components. I have tried many high-end graphics card with low wattage PSU, sometimes computer doesn't turn on, sometimes it restarts itself, sometimes it just shuts down. never experienced total system hardware failure. one day when it was raining the nearby telephone tower got struck by a lighting, it came through wire and fried both my PSU, and router, but nothing happened to rest of the system. don't underestimate what PSU can do.

When a psu fails the voltage rails can go way out of spec even if for a fraction of a second, this includes significantly over their rated voltage. The protection features are not 100% failsafe, they are very good to have and reduce risk of damage but some risk remains. The old Corsair CX series had the protection features you mentioned, I helped rebuild a system after one of these units failed and killed the gpu & motherboard. This forum is littered with threads about psu failures and in many cases the damage caused to other components.

Jan 20, 2019

I Got a evga SuperNOVA 750G2 coming just to be safe