Question Does my EVGA GTX 1060 6GB card support displayport over hdmi connection?

saucell

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
hey guys i have a noob question. i just bought the Acer Nitro Gaming Series VG270 monitor for my pc! im looking foward to it but the monitor only has 2 hdmi ports on it. i just learned that displayport cables come in hdmi form factor so i bought a displayport 1.2 cable that looks like an hdmi cable for my new monitor. my gtx 1060 has a regular displayport port but i will be plugging my displayport cable into the hdmi slot on my videocard. will my videocard see the cable as a displayport 1.2 cable or will my card just see it as a regular hdmi cable? my current monitor ive had since 2013 and it uses dvi-d so im out of the loop with all this stuff! can you guys help me? thank you!

Furzumz

Reputable
Are you saying you got a adapter with display port on one end and HDMI on the other end? If so I assume it should work. I got a 2070 super using a display port to DVI for my old monitor and a display port to HDMI for a TV I use as a make shift second monitor and it works just fine

saucell

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
Are you saying you got a adapter with display port on one end and HDMI on the other end? If so I assume it should work. I got a 2070 super using a display port to DVI for my old monitor and a display port to HDMI for a TV I use as a make shift second monitor and it works just fine

my new monitor has 2 hdmi ports on it but i believe the hdmi ports also double as displayport ports. i bought this cable https://www.newegg.com/p/1DG-0061-000D6?Description=displayport 1.2 cable&cm_re=displayport_1.2 cable--1DG-0061-000D6--Product its getting plugged into my monitor and into my videocards hdmi port. my question is will my video card see this displayport cable as what is it, or will it only see this cable as a standard hdmi cable? my videocard has a regular looking displayport port on it but i wont be using it, im using a displayport cable that looks like an hdmi cable and its getting plugged into the hdmi port on my videocard. im wondering if my videocard will see this as what it is, a displayport cable or will it just see it as a standard hdmi cable. sorry if this is confusing.

EDIT- im digging further and maybe im confused by the description of my monitor on amazon and other sites. most places im looking at say it has 2 hdmi ports but maybe one of the ports is actually displayport. also the display port cable i bought says "hdmi" in the description. im just confused dudes!

Last edited:

Furzumz

Reputable
my new monitor has 2 hdmi ports on it but i believe the hdmi ports also double as displayport ports. i bought this cable https://www.newegg.com/p/1DG-0061-000D6?Description=displayport 1.2 cable&cm_re=displayport_1.2 cable--1DG-0061-000D6--Product its getting plugged into my monitor and into my videocards hdmi port. my question is will my video card see this displayport cable as what is it, or will it only see this cable as a standard hdmi cable? my videocard has a regular looking displayport port on it but i wont be using it, im using a displayport cable that looks like an hdmi cable and its getting plugged into the hdmi port on my videocard. im wondering if my videocard will see this as what it is, a displayport cable or will it just see it as a standard hdmi cable. sorry if this is confusing.

EDIT- im digging further and maybe im confused by the description of my monitor on amazon and other sites. most places im looking at say it has 2 hdmi ports but maybe one of the ports is actually displayport. also the display port cable i bought says "hdmi" in the description. im just confused dudes!

Is this the correct monitor I'm looking at? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.HV0AA.P02

If so it doesn't say anything about a hybrid connector that I can see. It just lists 2 HDMI ports and 1 display port

HDMI and display port look similar. I regularly mistake the two but if you try to plug a hdmi into a display port or vice versa it won't work

But as you said your video card has a display port, the monitor says it has a display port, and the cable you linked is a normal display port cable you can plug that cable into your display port on your video card and then run it to the display port on the monitor and it should be good to go.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

You can't plug a display port into a HDMI port it don't fit.

Reactions: Archaic59

The Acer VG270 Nitro monitor does not support display port. You have to use an HDMI cable. It also supports AMD freesync but you have a Nvidia video card, so that's a wasted feature. Maybe you should've researched a bit more before buying a monitor.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

saucell

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
The Acer VG270 Nitro monitor does not support display port. You have to use an HDMI cable. It also supports AMD freesync but you have a Nvidia video card, so that's a wasted feature. Maybe you should've researched a bit more before buying a monitor.

i didnt buy this monitor for display port or freesync, i bought it because its much bigger than my current monitor. i did all the research i needed to. my question is about the cable i will be using, i was unclear if displayport cables get plugged into hdmi ports, if they have the same form factor. if i have to use hdmi cable thats 100% fine. maybe you shouldn't assume so much before posting?

Some are saying DP port and some sites do not.

yeah i will find out when i get it i guess, i have hdmi cables and i just ordered a diplayport cable so ill be ready for whichever. on amazon the recommend cable to purchase along with this monitor is a displayport cable. either way im headed to an upgrade!