Does my GPU support 144hz

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
I have a GTX 660. I desire to play CSGO at 1080p with 144hz refresh rate. I was planning on buying a monitor but im not 100% sure if I could use my GPU. Can someone give me some input? also what ports are needed to run a 144hz monitor? Thanks

Solution
If it comes with everything that it's supposed to then it has a dual link dvi cable to use.

As long as you are above 60fps, technically you are taking advantage of it. You don't need 144 although that would be nice to fully take advantage. If it only goes to 60-100 when loading then it doesn't matters, it's not while playing. Even if dropping when playing, you are still better off then 60hz when above 60fps.
For cs go it can get more than enough fps on high. What port depends on the monitor. Some older ones only have dual link dvi. The newer ones now have hdmi 2.0 but you have 1.4 so can't use that. Dp is always a safe bet since it's technically higher capabilities than the others. Just take a look at the monitor specs.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-24GM77-B-Gaming-Monitor-1ms-144Hz-Freesync-24-Full-HD-1080p-LED-/222626430190?epid=203748842&hash=item33d591bcee:g:gKcAAOSwKz9Zo6Lp
I was looking into this but keep in mind my computer only has eSata, HDMI and dvi. Also i believe it has a mini displayport. Would this work with my pc

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

so if i cant get 144fps having the monitor is useless? I know I can but sometimes it fluctuates while loading into a game for example and i go to 60-100 fps, what would happen in these instances?

If it comes with everything that it's supposed to then it has a dual link dvi cable to use.

As long as you are above 60fps, technically you are taking advantage of it. You don't need 144 although that would be nice to fully take advantage. If it only goes to 60-100 when loading then it doesn't matters, it's not while playing. Even if dropping when playing, you are still better off then 60hz when above 60fps.

Solution

You will get tearing unless you are using V sync and it that case you will get stuttering, again unless you get a G-sync enabled monitor and GPU.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Thanks for your help clears things up, Im going to go ahead and purchase that monitor. Im going to use DP connection. Is anything mentioned above accurate about tearing? If Im loading in at 100 fps will i studder/tear? As far as in game goes im sure i can keep 144 fps + at all times

You can see the same issues on any monitor. The only difference is the fps to be below or above the monitor's refresh rate. Tearing is less of a concern when below the monitor's refresh rate. It's when you are above that it will get much worse. If you are getting 100fps on your current 60hz monitor then you know what will happen when above. You should have played some games that had you go below 60 fps so you know what happens when below.

You should not be using vsync because it will limit your fps and no one who plays cs go wants to be limited to 60fps on a 60hz monitor. So stuttering caused from vsync is irrelevant but yes, when below the monitor's refresh rate, vsync causes stuttering.