Does my hard disk need to be replaced,HELP!!

robertfa

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
Ok guys ,i have a Toshiba hdd 1TB 5400 RPM .it has lasted about 3 years with me now >>>3 weeks ago when starting my computer i had BSOD and it then restarts automatically, at that point i had to shut power by holding the power button(i know its a fatal mistake but didn't know what else to do to stop repeatedly restarting),i have formatted and installed windows 6 times but every time it slows at some program opening or freezes after a while, now I am working on windows 7 but it is a little bit glitchy and some programs are not responding (like chrome, control panel. Windows explorer),sometimes it freezes until i wait and then respond back..i thought it is a hdd problem so i used the advice of a technician and he made a scan and BANG he said that the media on hdd is corrupted and no way to fix it but to replace the hdd .I have done a S.M.A.R.T scan using 2 tools and gave me these results(using crystal disk info):
caution
376 reallocated sectors count:
current 100/worst 100/threshold 50
read error rate:
current 100/worst 97/threshold 50

using hard disk sentinel:
performance Excellent 100%
Health : Bad 21% :(
There are 376 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

It is recommended to backup immediately to prevent data loss.
Estimated lifetime :59 days

so does that mean i have to replace it now or it can be fixed
please a quick reply would be appreciated,becuase if so i would replace it tomorrow
(my laptop is dell inspiron 5537 core i7-4500U CPU 1.8 GHz-ram 8 Gg-AMD redeon 8850 2 gb)

Solution
Yes, you really should replace that drive. HD Sentinels is a very reliable service, I trust what they say. If you don't replace it, I guarantee it will fail soon.

Also, unfortunately HDDs rarely can be fixed.

Bluex

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Yes, you really should replace that drive. HD Sentinels is a very reliable service, I trust what they say. If you don't replace it, I guarantee it will fail soon.

Also, unfortunately HDDs rarely can be fixed.

Solution

robertfa

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

Thanks BLUEX for your reply
now I am searching for hdds and I felt comfortable about WD 1TB (blue) 7200rpm 64mb cashe
do u think it is a good choice or there is better with the same features (like Seagate) ,I can't afford black WD and I think this new hdd is much better than the one ruined(which did great job with me in gaming and at work) so it is a satisfactory for me>>> can u confirm on this(like if there are cons of WD blue) .2xThanks in advance

Bluex

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013

I love Western Digital . I actually have never had a WD hard drive die. All of the HDDs I buy are Western Digital. That being said, Seagates are also great drives. My backup drives are Seagates and they work great!

robertfa

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

Dude u are the man..thank you so much >>>that's my first visit to the forum and yeah I guess I know where to go when countering problems >>>>Really appreciate it :)