Question Does my HDD failing?

Brandon Umali

Reputable
Oct 13, 2019
Hi I am having a problem because my PC suddenly became super slow, at first I thought it's my CPU because it has is sitting at 75 degrees celcius at average temperature but now that I've brought it done to 40 after buying an after market cooler it's still super slow. I've tried doing re-format but it takes 24 hours to finish the task, normally it will only be a few hours. Am I correct that my HDD is at fault on this? I am having a dilemma if it's my MOTHERBOARD, RAM, POWER SUPPLY or HDD. Can anyone please help me verify so I can buy a new piece correctly.

Do you currently have a working OS installation on that computer ?

If yes, you simply get in hand a proper tool to extract the HDD S.M.A.R.T. data - If you provide that in text format, we can probably tell if the HDD is faulty or not (getting HDD health is the easiest test, and a good idea to begin with).

One of the most used tool to extract the data is CrystalDiskInfo. Note that within the program, you can simply press Ctrl+C, and this will copy the info as text - that you can paste directly on this forum - just remember to format the pasted text as <\> Code.

Brandon Umali

Reputable
Oct 13, 2019
Do you currently have a working OS installation on that computer ?

If yes, you simply get in hand a proper tool to extract the HDD S.M.A.R.T. data - If you provide that in text format, we can probably tell if the HDD is faulty or not (getting HDD health is the easiest test, and a good idea to begin with).

One of the most used tool to extract the data is CrystalDiskInfo. Note that within the program, you can simply press Ctrl+C, and this will copy the info as text - that you can paste directly on this forum - just remember to format the pasted text as <\> Code.

I just finished an almost 24 hours re-format and still very very slow, I cannot even download any software because it takes a long time to even open a web browser.