Does my HDD need to be replaced?

santystuffs

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hello, yesterday i made a thread about how some of my games and programs would take a long time to load for some reason, thanks to the help of the users here i think i figured it was due my harddrive. I ran several tools including HDD Regenerator and CHKDSK both completing without showing a single issue, and just now it finished to pass HD tune as you can see here http://i.imgur.com/VE81qkU.png

Now my question is, would i need to get a new one? maybe there is something i can do software wise? maybe a full format even?

Solution

That is internal drive, right?
You have to go into BIOS and enable SMART monitoring for sata port, where the drive is connected to.

After that check HDtune health again.
1. As you can see here the Toshiba DT01ACA100 (1 TB, 7200 rpm, SATA 6 Gbit/s) scores a 5.15 MB/sec in the THG Gaming test, that's about half the speed of the fastest drive in the test.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd-charts-2013/-17-PCMark-7-Gaming,2915.html

2. How full is the drive ... if it's over 85% that can slow things down.

3. How often is the drive defragged ?

4. How much crap / bloat is on there ? Do you tend to install / uninstall a lot of things ? Do you use have added "bars" whose hidden purpose is oft to collect and send data data mining companies.

5. Look in task manager or resource Monitor to see what exe files are reading / writing data ... do web searches on what they are and if not there intentionally, uninstall the programs associated therewith

santystuffs

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

1-I see

2-I´ve got 35% free

3-I tried to yesterday, but the defragging got stack on the same percentage for over 8 hours, i had to turn off the computer to go to sleep.

4-I try to not download much, no user bars, and i passed MalwareBytes 3.0 without a threat found.

5-Everything looks normal, with the process that is taking the biggest usage being Firefox.

3. We derfag every Hard Drive every day at a scheduled time, this all happens in the background w/o use intervention. Of course when this is done, it goes very quickly as 99% of the drive is not touched. Onlt 1 or 2 files wind up get moved (unfragged) er day on each drive.

4. Malware Bytes is a decent tool but it is limited in scope. If ever in doubt, download a 30 day free trial of Kaspesky Internet Suite or the Bitdefender equivalent.

5. What are you looking at ? By default, TM does not display columns for I/O unless you add them. Click on VIEW in the menu bar and add the I/O colmns

santystuffs

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

3- Ah i see, well the scheduled defrag is on, so i guess it does defrag it.

4- Ok will do

5- Sorry i misunderstood the first time, looking at the Resource Monitor now, everything seems in order, nothing out of the ordinary except this here https://i.gyazo.com/74b898c4ad8df678a5817b414bc40899.png i tried googling it but i dont see a single result about it.

That is internal drive, right?
You have to go into BIOS and enable SMART monitoring for sata port, where the drive is connected to.

After that check HDtune health again.

Solution