[SOLVED] Does my iGPU become disabled when I buy a dedicated GPU?

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
I'm currently running a Ryzen 5 3400G with the Vega 11 and I'm thinking of buying a GTX 1650 in a few months.

What I want to know if that will disable the Vega 11 I currently have and give me more RAM since the Vega 11 takes 2GB from my RAM.

So let's say I get the GTX 1650 in a few months, I will then have no use of the drivers for the Vega 11. I can uninstall them and replace them with Nvidia drivers?

Solution
D
Yes, the iGPU gets replaced by the dedicated GPU once you install one. The CPU will perform faster as it doesn't need to process graphics as well. You should be able to uninstall your current drivers and install the NVIDIA drivers just fine.

If the iGPU seems to not be disabled even after you install the dedicated GPU, you should be able to go into your BIOS and disable it there. Refer to your motherboard's manual in order to find out how to do that.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Yes, the iGPU gets replaced by the dedicated GPU once you install one. The CPU will perform faster as it doesn't need to process graphics as well. You should be able to uninstall your current drivers and install the NVIDIA drivers just fine.

If the iGPU seems to not be disabled even after you install the dedicated GPU, you should be able to go into your BIOS and disable it there. Refer to your motherboard's manual in order to find out how to do that.

Solution