[SOLVED] Does my internet support 5GHz band

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
My router is dual band. How will I know if my Verizon internet supports 5 GHz band, or do I need to upgrade to faster internet?

Solution
If you have a dual band router that is generally what it means. It has a 2.4g and 5g radio.

The internet connection itself is via coax or fiber cable so it does not know anything about what wifi equipment you have attached to it.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
If you have a dual band router that is generally what it means. It has a 2.4g and 5g radio.

The internet connection itself is via coax or fiber cable so it does not know anything about what wifi equipment you have attached to it.
What if my internet connection is the slowest of them all? Do I need to upgrade Verizon Internet Plan to have a working 5GHz band?

kanewolf

Titan
What if my internet connection is the slowest of them all? Do I need to upgrade Verizon Internet Plan to have a working 5GHz band?
5Ghz WIFI is different than 5G cellular. The first is the frequency used in connecting devices on your LAN to the router. The second is the fifth generation of cellular infrastructure and is not related to your Verizon router. I might be relevant to your cell phone IF you have a Samsung S20 or other VERY new phone.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
5Ghz WIFI is different than 5G cellular. The first is the frequency used in connecting devices on your LAN to the router. The second is the fifth generation of cellular infrastructure and is not related to your Verizon router. I might be relevant to your cell phone IF you have a Samsung S20 or other VERY new phone.
Nope, just internet connecting computers. No cellphone.

kanewolf

Titan
Nope, just internet connecting computers. No cellphone.
If you have a dual band router, then it support 5Ghz WIFI. Then you have to have dual band WIFI in the client devices. 5Ghz WIFI also does not penetrate through walls as well as 2.4Ghz WIFI. So, in adjacent rooms, you may have a much lower 5Ghz WIFI signal compared to 2.4Ghz. You can "force" devices to use the 5Ghz signal by having a unique SSID on each band. Then you manually choose which band to connect.

Your internet service has nothing to do with what WiFi technology you can use, past what your router and network card in the computer can support. You said your router is dual band that means you can use use the 5ghz connection if your network card also supports it. In reality, if you did not already know this, you don't need to worry about it unless you have some issues with connectivity. If things are working, just let them work they way they are now. If you do have some issues then you should list what those are and how the network is setup, what is located where, brand/models of the equipment, etc...

You also have this router question, what does that have to do with this if anything? https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/3x3-router-with-2x2-devices.3601542/#post-21730505

Status
Not open for further replies.