Does my Laptop need more RAM?

su30mki117

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
I have a fairly old and underpowered Lenovo Z570 with a Core i3 and 3 GB of RAM. Browsing the internet is really slow and a frustrating experience. About 70% to 80% of the RAM is always full. I don't have the budget right now to upgrade the hard disk to an SSD, but I can uprade the RAM which is pretty affordable. Will it make any difference in terms of system responsiveness?

Thank You

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I would look at what is eating up all the RAM.. perhaps de-install some programs you don't need. Try a few things like that to see if it brings you any improvement. CCleaner? Disable unneeded services etc.

Edit: Maybe a clean install of Windows?

su30mki117

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

The main culprits eating up RAM are the obvious ones, 'Chrome browser' and 'System and compressed memory'. If I understand correctly; Win 10 compresses data to keep it on RAM, rather than storing it on HDD. So theoretically at least, adding more RAM should help in my case right?

I have uninstalled the programs I don't need, only just have the really important programs that I need for my day to day tasks. There are no unwanted programs auto-starting on startup. It did not make a big difference.

I would look at the option of doing a clean install as a last resort.