[SOLVED] Does my laptop support this memory?

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Hello, I have recently bought a used HP Pavilion dv6-6052ea, because it sounded like a great deal for 40Euros. It has an i7-2630QM, AMD Radeon HD 7490M, 4GB of RAM and a 700GB HDD. I already bought a SU650 240GB SSD for it and am planning to add more memory. It currently has a Micron 16JSF51264HZ-1G4D1 4GB 1333Mhz CL9 single RAM module. When I opened the cover of the laptop, I noticed, that there are two slots. Should I buy a new kit of RAM or buy a single RAM stick with similar specifications and put it next to the existing one? If I can buy a single RAM stick with similar specifications, would a G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-4GBSQ 4GB RAM Stick with as of what I can tell, exact same specs, fit into my laptop? Would there be any disadvantages to having mixed RAM?

If I have to buy an entirely new kit of RAM, would my laptop support 1600Mhz, or would I need to buy a lower clocked model? Would a G. Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBSQ 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL9 kit work?
Are there any better suggestions?
Thank you!

Solution
It has an i7-2630QM
That laptop should have an HM65 chipset meaning that it won't go beyond DDR3-1333MHz (page 66 in laptop manual), in spite of dropping in higher frequency ram kits onto the motherboard. According to this manual for your laptop, page 5 and 6, you can go as high as 16GB's of ram.

If you want to perform a ram upgrade, look into a dual channel ram kit, off of Ebay. You shouldn't mix and match sticks of ram. Prior to your storage and ram upgrade, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for the laptop.

Lutfij

Titan
It has an i7-2630QM
That laptop should have an HM65 chipset meaning that it won't go beyond DDR3-1333MHz (page 66 in laptop manual), in spite of dropping in higher frequency ram kits onto the motherboard. According to this manual for your laptop, page 5 and 6, you can go as high as 16GB's of ram.

If you want to perform a ram upgrade, look into a dual channel ram kit, off of Ebay. You shouldn't mix and match sticks of ram. Prior to your storage and ram upgrade, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for the laptop.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS