does my motherboard fits with my GPU? how can i know that?

pikachu112

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
hi, i know many published that but i cant find a similar to my motherboard and video card i want to know before i buy a card if my motherboard P5KPL-VM fits with SAPPHIRE RADEON R7 240 or with any geforce gt630 version, its old video card was geforce 8800 gt or gtx i dont remember :p . if that helps. thx for reading

caqde

Distinguished
Basically all we do is check to see if your board supports a certain interface. In this case we are looking at PCI-Express. In your case since you have a PCI-Express port on your motherboard and since PCI-Express cards are designed to be backwards compatible (Meaning 3.x cards are supported by PCI_Express 1.x ports) it means that your motherboard should support any PCI-Express videocard. The only worries after that would be your case supporting the size of the card and your powersupply being able to power the card.

pikachu112

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

well powersupply is fine i think, its 350 watt max and they said me its ok. now about card size what do i have to look to know if it fits before i buy.. Also from a store i asked about it they said me that my motherboard must not be beyond 6 years to fit new video cards, well mine is 7 years (2007) and its first card was geforce 8800 gtx

pikachu112

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

so its about the cm size every card has on description? that i have to look?

caqde

Distinguished
There are really only two sizes that matter the cards width and height.

The height of a card is effected by the type of case you have There are two standard card sizes Full height and Half height. Full height is used in most cases and is the most likely one you will use. Half height cards are used in small form factor cases. If your case looks half as wide as most you have seen then it is possible you have a small form factor case that needs Half height cards in this case you would look for a card that comes with a half height adapter bracket. (some R5 240's and GT630's do come with them). Another measure you could use is taking a CD and placing it width wise against your case if the disk is wider than your case then you have a small form factor case if the disk is smaller then you most likely don't. (The slots on the back of your case for the cards should be about the length of the diameter of a CD for Full height and the radius for Half height).

Width on the other hand matters when the card extends beyond the slots length on the motherboard which usually only happens on the high end cards. The measure here would be a question of how much room does you case allow past the slot for your graphics card while still allowing things to be installed. Some motherboards may also pose issues here if the card would end up going over important components (SATA ports etc).

Hopefully I explained this well enough but really for low end cards the height would be the only thing that would matter. And even then some of those cards are sold capable of going into both types of cases.

pikachu112

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

well i cant test what u said right now ill see and find solution in a couple of days but you helped a lot and i thank you a lot ill come up with more questions if something pop up :p and if i have any other question while i try it . thanks again