Question Does my motherboard have a backplate?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Msi x299 raider motherboard.

I'm selling the board on ebay and somebody messaged me asking if it comes with a backplate. Nothing like that came in the box, and I'm pretty sure its preinstalled. I dont want to give out bad information, that's the last thing you want to do on ebay.

Unless hes asking about the io shield? I thought a backplate was something that holds the cpu cooler in place?

Gam3r01

Titan
They are probably asking about the stock cooler backplate.
If you used the stock cooler or any aftermarket cooler that uses the stock backplate it was pre-installed.
If you removed it to install an aftermarket one (you would have done this yourself), then you probably dont have it anymore.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
They are probably asking about the stock cooler backplate.
If you used the stock cooler or any aftermarket cooler that uses the stock backplate it was pre-installed.
If you removed it to install an aftermarket one (you would have done this yourself), then you probably dont have it anymore.
X299 cpus dont come with a cooler. Both of my x299 motherboards have the same mount built into the socket.

https://ibb.co/7y6KjF1

https://ibb.co/mJBmGp5

Front and back of the socket

Last edited:
Your board has the stock backplate seen in your photos. Aftermarket cooler comes with a backplate if needed so the person asking you the question was talking about that stock backplate.

Just send the person photos.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Your board has the stock backplate seen in your photos. Aftermarket cooler comes with a backplate if needed so the person asking you the question was talking about that stock backplate.

Just send the person photos.
On the listing I posted photos of the front and back of the board that's why I was kind of confused when he asked. But it doesn't matter now it already sold.

Is there any reason why I would use the backplate that came with my cooler? I didnt think you could remove the one that came with the board because it looks like its built into the cpu socket.

On the listing I posted photos of the front and back of the board that's why I was kind of confused when he asked. But it doesn't matter now it already sold.

Is there any reason why I would use the backplate that came with my cooler? I didnt think you could remove the one that came with the board because it looks like its built into the cpu socket.
Normally you just read the instruction that comes with your aftermarket cooler. If the instruction says to keep the stock backplate you keep it. If it does say to remove/replace it all the steps to remove it will be in that instruction.

On your board you can see the 4 special screws on the CPU socket. That is the screws for the backplate. This one you can't remove or you can but no cooler will ask you to remove that backplate. Most aftermarket cooler comes with a large backplate that goes over the one you can't remove.

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS