[SOLVED] Does my motherboard support over 2133 MHz RAM?

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
im planning to buy a 8GB 2x RAM kit for my i5 6400 because my current RAM capacity is 8GB 1x running at 2133 MHz

my motherboard is an ASUS H110M-K (i’ll double check)

Solution
No matter what.

With a 6th Gen CPU it is not possible to run memory that is faster than 2133mhz on that motherboard. It does not support it by default AND it cannot be overclocked because it is a locked board. All memory installed on that board, with that cpu, will run at only 2133mhz. With a 7th gen CPU installed, it COULD run at 2400mhz, but no faster.

If you want to use faster memory you need a different motherboard. There ARE motherboards you can run faster memory on even with a locked CPU, but that is not one of them. You would need a Z series motherboard to run at any speed that is faster than the default configuration supports.
No matter what.

With a 6th Gen CPU it is not possible to run memory that is faster than 2133mhz on that motherboard. It does not support it by default AND it cannot be overclocked because it is a locked board. All memory installed on that board, with that cpu, will run at only 2133mhz. With a 7th gen CPU installed, it COULD run at 2400mhz, but no faster.

If you want to use faster memory you need a different motherboard. There ARE motherboards you can run faster memory on even with a locked CPU, but that is not one of them. You would need a Z series motherboard to run at any speed that is faster than the default configuration supports.

Solution