Question Does my PSU have enough watts?

Nov 18, 2018
Do you think that my PSU has enough watts to keep my PC running? Yesterday my PC turned itself off, and I'm trying to figure out if it was because of the airflow or my power supply not having enough power. I ran a PSU calculator, and it recommended about 440 watts, (give or take), but then underneath was a link to a 650 watt PSU, so I'm a little confused. Here are my parts:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard: ASUS B450-F Gaming
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 4GB
  • 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB
  • Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB
  • WD Red 1TB
  • Case: Riotoro CR500
  • Power Supply: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550W Gold
Thank you for reading and any help! :p

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed, the Seasonic is a good quality unit and I'd be surprised if it was at fault. However there is no definite. Great quality units can still malfunction.

Is the shut down a one off? Were there any freezes / crashes? any BSOD?
Have you monitored GPU temp under load?
Have you monitored individual core CPU temps under load (not just overall package)?
Are you using an extension lead or UPS?

Reactions: AngelTech

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed with @PC Tailor and @AngelTech - that's a very good PSU, and more than up to the task. The Sapphire cards tend to be excellent as well, so this is a little puzzling.

How is the airflow through your case? What were your CPU and GPU temperatures, if you were monitoring them?

If not, I'd suggest using a tool (HWInfo for example) that will monitor/graph CPU and GPU temps and usage while using/gaming.

Kind of a longshot, but maybe run a test on the RAM - I think MemTest86 is the standard still, though, I have very little experience with regard to RAM testing.

This is puzzling, because these are all quality parts you have (I can't say on the case, because my knowledge of PC cases is near zero).

Nov 18, 2018
Agreed, the Seasonic is a good quality unit and I'd be surprised if it was at fault. However there is no definite. Great quality units can still malfunction.

Is the shut down a one off? Were there any freezes / crashes? any BSOD?
Have you monitored GPU temp under load?
Have you monitored individual core CPU temps under load (not just overall package)?
Are you using an extension lead or UPS?
I was playing Resident Evil 2, which isn't really hard to run, my fans still make a little more noise, but it's no big deal. Suddenly out of nowhere after a couple of hours of gameplay, my PC just turned off, acting exactly like it does when I shut it off myself. I actually cleaned my PC today, I monitored my parts with HWMonitor, both before it shut itself off and after I cleaned it. I can see now that the temperatures are somewhat lower, and I think that the reason it shut off was because there was dust that had settled under my PSU fan, which may have blocked airflow and therefore it turned off. I've had my PC running for a while now, and played RE2 again, and no problems at the moment. :)

Also, here are the temps for my PC, and as I understand it they are good:

Mobo: 40-43C/104-109.4F
CPU: About the same
RAM: 36C/96.8F and 37C/98.6F respectively
GPU: 45-53C/113-127.4F
HDD: 27-29C/80.6-84.2F
SSD: 44-47C/111.2-116.6F

I haven't monitored them under gameplay yet, but I will later. Everything is as it should be right now, thanks for your help! :D

Reactions: King_V
Nov 18, 2018
Your PSU is 100% Compatible with This build. But you should not overclock your GPU with 550watt PSU. Get at least 600-650 Watt PSU for overclocking.

But if you are not going to overclock. Then you will not face any problem in future.
Yeah, I'm not interested in overclocking at all, I just wants it to work as it is, which it thankfully does. :D

Nov 18, 2018
Agreed with @PC Tailor and @AngelTech - that's a very good PSU, and more than up to the task. The Sapphire cards tend to be excellent as well, so this is a little puzzling.

How is the airflow through your case? What were your CPU and GPU temperatures, if you were monitoring them?

If not, I'd suggest using a tool (HWInfo for example) that will monitor/graph CPU and GPU temps and usage while using/gaming.

Kind of a longshot, but maybe run a test on the RAM - I think MemTest86 is the standard still, though, I have very little experience with regard to RAM testing.

This is puzzling, because these are all quality parts you have (I can't say on the case, because my knowledge of PC cases is near zero).
The airflow is better now as I cleaned my computer, I'm not sure, but I think the reason it shut off was because of dust buildup under the fan of my PSU, and my temps are pretty good, you can see them in another reply I did. Thanks! :)

Reactions: King_V