[SOLVED] Does my SN750 need a heatsink?

tom_taylor97

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013
Hello :)

Recently bought a WD SN750 for my system.
Upon benchmarking to make sure it ran at the correct speed, it ran at 80 degrees plus. Under general use it seemed to sit in the 50's and max around the mid 60's, which is close to the 70 degree upper operating temp.
As there is a variant sold with a heatsink I thought I'd try the EKWB heatsink as it is a cheaper alternative to the WB option. After installing it the drive now seems to idle around mid 40's and max out at mid 50's when benchmarking.

I've heard that running the drives too cold can cause damage? So wondered if I am better off with the heatsink on or off. I assumed it may be needed due to a version being sold with a heatsink but now a bit unsure.

Thanks

Solution
These drives report a "composite" temperature which is some kind of weighted average of the temperatures from the various sensors. This average is usually lower than the actual core temperature. I would use a heatsink, irrespective of what temperature is being reported.
These drives report a "composite" temperature which is some kind of weighted average of the temperatures from the various sensors. This average is usually lower than the actual core temperature. I would use a heatsink, irrespective of what temperature is being reported.

Reactions: tom_taylor97
Solution

tom_taylor97

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013

Perfect! Thank you! I did try WD support but as usual with support agents, they gave me the legal script which wasnt much help.