Does my system have a bottleneck?

tgorlachov

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
I was looking to see if my system had a bottleneck in it. I checked out thebottlenecker.com and said it had a 31% bottleneck saying the GPU is too weak for the CPU.

Specs:
CPU: A6-7400K
GPU: MSI Radeon R7 250 OC
RAM: 4 x 2 DDR3
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-HD2 (rev. 3.0)
OS (For any reason): Win 8.1 Pro

I'm not so sure this is a bottleneck because testing if games will run, it shows the CPU is the biggest problem.

Solution
To be honest both your CPU and GPU are weak. Typically in a gaming system you'd want your CPU strong enough to allow your GPU to perform fully, which technically would mean the GPU would be the limiting factor aka "bottleneck." In CPU intensive games your CPU will hold you back; in GPU intensive games your GPU will hold you back. Some games require both good CPU and GPU, so you'd be lacking both in those games.

Another thing, stay away from thebottlenecker.com. It's oftentimes not correct.
Its a low end system overall, nothing is really strong enough to create a "bottleneck" for the other.

I have been seeing alot of that site lately, and its a massive joke. If one components is weak it immediately calls it a bottleneck, a term thrown around far too often without actual consideration of what it means.

To be honest both your CPU and GPU are weak. Typically in a gaming system you'd want your CPU strong enough to allow your GPU to perform fully, which technically would mean the GPU would be the limiting factor aka "bottleneck." In CPU intensive games your CPU will hold you back; in GPU intensive games your GPU will hold you back. Some games require both good CPU and GPU, so you'd be lacking both in those games.

Another thing, stay away from thebottlenecker.com. It's oftentimes not correct.

Solution
So I decided to use that site for my system, just to see how bad it was.
It recommend I replace my desktop i5 with a laptop i7 processor

Its recommending an upgrade that is impossible, on a system that needs no processor upgrade.
What a joke.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
To be fair, every system has a bottleneck. Your system's bottleneck is the weakest component in the build. When you upgrade your GPU it might move to the CPU. When you upgrade your CPU it might move to the memory. It's not possible to have a system without a bottleneck. Not all programs/workloads will stress your system to a point where the bottleneck is an issue though.

tgorlachov

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
I know it isn't a great system but it still allows me to play games that I can enjoy. I was also just curious to whether it was a real 'bottleneck' or not. Thanks for the help.

There is no "bottleneck" in the sense youre asking about, it runs what you want it to, each component can work well enough with everything else.

tgorlachov

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017

Still, it's good enough for me with the price. For the games I play, it pulls to 60 fps with mid-high settings most of the time.