[SOLVED] Does my Thermaltake Smartpower 650W PSU has 2x8 pin for running 2 GPUs at the same time?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2841972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2841972

Hi,

The only thing that I want to know is that if it has 2x8 pin cable or not. It's full name is Thermaltake Smartpower 80PLUS 650W.
Update: Just found a writing and it says: "24 Pin x 1 CPU 4+4 Pin x 1 PCI-e 6+2 Pin x 2 SATA x 6 4 Pin Peripheral x 4 4 Pin Floppy x 1". So, can I run 2 Nvidia GPUs at the same time?

D

Deleted member 2841972

1080s are way expensive than 3070s right now, there are 2 choices for me and looks like I will get 1060S.
Right now 1060S is like $480 and 2060 is $610, I think I should definitely get 1060S in this case.

D

Deleted member 2841972

You do realise that you won’t be able to SLi those cards and that SLi support is not that good anymore.

Also while 650w is enough that’s a really mediocre psu, you might be pushing your luck running 2 cards for any purpose.
I am aware of everything you mentioned, thanks for writing tho. If I prefer to get a new quality PSU, I won't be able to get a new GPU. So I always decided to continue with the same one. Some people said that PSU is also going to damage my components, what is the posibility?

DSzymborski

Titan
I am aware of everything you mentioned, thanks for writing tho. If I prefer to get a new quality PSU, I won't be able to get a new GPU. So I always decided to continue with the same one. Some people said that PSU is also going to damage my components, what is the posibility?

"If I prefer to get car insurance, I won't be able to get a sports car."
"If I prefer to repair the gas leak in my kitchen, I won't be able to get a skylight."

This PSU isn't even a particularly good choice to power a GPU.

The important stuff comes before the fun stuff. It's your money, so you're free to not go that way, but your plan here is a very poor idea.

D

Deleted member 2841972

Then I will have to sell my 1060 for a new PSU. Until that, I am able to run 2 GPUs with that PSU right? Just want to be clear. If it has enough cables...

D

Deleted member 2841972

You really shouldn't unless you want to run the risk of becoming, very suddenly, the owner of 0 GPUs.
I was thinking like I need a better GPU because 1060 doesn't satisfy me anymore. When I get a new GPU, I would start mining with my 1060. While I am doing my staff with the newer one, 1060 would work for mining at the same time. The only thing that I am worried about if it has enough cables to run 2 GPUs or not.

DSzymborski

Titan
I was thinking like I need a better GPU because 1060 doesn't satisfy me anymore. When I get a new GPU, I would start mining with my 1060. While I am doing my staff with the newer one, 1060 would work for mining at the same time. The only thing that I am worried about if it has enough cables to run 2 GPUs or not.

That's the problem; that you're not worrying about this. This PSU isn't really safe enough to run one expensive GPU. To run two simultaneously is just utter madness.