Question Does my Workstation supports ECC?

Nov 30, 2019
I have some DELL ECC DDR3 RAM, and I want put it in my Hp Workstation z220. It has a Xeon E3 1245 v2, so it should support ecc ram. But when I put the ram on, it just stays stucked in POST with 5 short beeps.

I have the same HP z220 and like you tried ECC memory, no luck I guess there is two ECC types of ECC memory registered and non registered. All the cheap ECC out there is Registered. So I have some nice 16 x4 = 64gbs sitting waiting on a new board that can take the R ver of ECC.

So I just filled the HP with 24gb reg 1600 ddr3 nice zippy machine and the other memory is now for another build.

Nov 30, 2019
I have the same HP z220 and like you tried ECC memory, no luck I guess there is two ECC types of ECC memory registered and non registered. All the cheap ECC out there is Registered. So I have some nice 16 x4 = 64gbs sitting waiting on a new board that can take the R ver of ECC.

So I just filled the HP with 24gb reg 1600 ddr3 nice zippy machine and the other memory is now for another build.

So unlucky then, I could have my workstation with 32gb of ram (the maximum that processor supports), but I could not find if it was buffered or unbuffered ram...
I think I will sell all of them...

its either unbuffered or registered (buffered)
if its registered, it has extra chip in middle of stick
buffer.JPG

Memory configuration (Supported)
2GB, 4GB and 8GB ECC or non-ECC unbuffered DIMM

Your picture shows 10600R as well as the extra chip in middle of stick.

"Registered" ("buffered"), improves signal integrity (and hence potentially clock rates and physical slot capacity) by electrically buffering the signals at a cost of an extra clock of increased latency. Those modules are identified by an additional R in their designation, e.g. PC3-10600R. Typically modules with this designation are actually ECC Registered, but the 'E' of 'ECC' is not always shown. Whereas non-registered (a.k.a. unbuffered RAM) may be identified by an additional U in the designation. e.g. PC3-10600U.

The HP Workstation z220 won't work with "Registered" ("buffered") memory.

Ya I had never messed with ECC memory before and the 16x4 sticks I bought were so cheap I thought what the heck. The better part of me said not a gonna work but I did after buying spend a day learning the difference in the ECC memory world. Not a big deal and I only paid $26.00 for all 4. You can't learn if you don't leap.