[SOLVED] Does NAS use internet data to transfer files and is it limited by internet speed connection?

For the past 3 years I've had this WD 16TB My Book Duo WDBLWE0160JCH-NESN on RAID 1 mirror config:
AY3DrYwl.jpg

It's 2018 and everybody seems to be using NAS now as their primary storage solution so I'm also thinking about upgrading my storage since it's almost full anyway. While I don't really have the need to access my files remotely over the network having the option does seem convenient. The reliability of a RAID 1 mirrored back up is very important to me so redundancy is still my top priority. I'm planning to sell this old book duo after building a NAS system like this:

Synology 2 Bay NAS DiskStation DS218+ (Diskless)
S1ZSXMhl.jpg

But my main questions are:

1. Does NAS use internet data in proportion to the actual data size transferred? For example: moving/copying files from a 8TB HDD onto a 8TB NAS, does it use 8TB worth of internet data?

Our ISP, Cox only provides 1TB cap of data monthly and has an overage charge of $10 for every 50GB additionally. Therefore, if the question above is true that means it would take me several months to transfer all data on my book duo to the new NAS storage, is this correct?

2. Is the transfer speed of files in a NAS limited by the internet connection speed provided by an ISP?

I have a rather average or below average internet service since gigabit internet is not available in my area/address.
aj7D6QZm.png

3. Do I need to upgrade our router? If so, what transfer speeds should I expect with our current ASUS RT-AC68U?
BhvZO0fm.jpg

Solution
1. No. That is all internal data. Never touches the internet.

2. No. Just your PC , router, and the NAS box. Presumably, all gigabit speed.
Talking to the outside world is, of course, limited by your ISP speed and cap.

3. No.

I transfer about 8-10TB weekly to and from my NAS box. None of that ever goes outboard of the router.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
1. No. If both devices are on your local network, no internet traffic is used.

2. No. Internal speeds are determined by the speed of the devices on your network. External access is limited by your level of service speed, though.

3. No. That router is fine.

racksmith101

Respectable
Your Nas won't use your internet allowance unless your accessing remotely. Transfering via your local LAN will be determined by your interface speed of your devices ie LAN (wired) or WiFi and won't use up your internet allowance.

USAFRet

Titan
1. No. That is all internal data. Never touches the internet.

2. No. Just your PC , router, and the NAS box. Presumably, all gigabit speed.
Talking to the outside world is, of course, limited by your ISP speed and cap.

3. No.

I transfer about 8-10TB weekly to and from my NAS box. None of that ever goes outboard of the router.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS