Does NT4 support firewire

Does Windows NT4 support Firewire devices for example an
external hard drive?
No information is available on the search facility for
microsoft.com and quick google searches on firewire and nt
do not give any information.
Cheers,

Calvin

Hi Yvanga,

this question has come up before - the short answer seems to be no, NT4 does not
support IEEE1394 (Firewire), but I am certain and I have witnesses to back up my
claims, that I have seen a working NT4 system with an externally attached
Firewire disk array - so I know it can be done.

Like you, I've conducted a net search and unfortunately also come up empty
handed - so I suspect that whoever was supporting it on NT4 is no longer doing
so :-(

If anyone has any definitive information on this subject PLEASE tell us !!

Calvin.

Calvin wrote:

> Hi Yvanga,
>
> this question has come up before - the short answer seems to be no, NT4
> does not support IEEE1394 (Firewire), but I am certain and I have
> witnesses to back up my claims, that I have seen a working NT4 system
> with an externally attached Firewire disk array - so I know it can be done.
>
> Like you, I've conducted a net search and unfortunately also come up
> empty handed - so I suspect that whoever was supporting it on NT4 is no
> longer doing so :-(
>
> If anyone has any definitive information on this subject PLEASE tell us !!
>
> Calvin.

A few years ago I tried a IEEE1394 PCI card from OrangeMicro
or DirtCheapDrives (can't remember which) that purported to
be NT4 compatible. Worked OK for importing video from
cameras, but for some reason did not work with hard drives.