Does Nvidia have anything like AMD's Super Virtual Resolution?

Teemsan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I have an R9 390 and two Benq monitors that have different native resolutions: One is 1080p and one is 1440p. AMD's SVR setting allows me to run the 1080p monitor at 1440p - so both are 1440. This isn't for gaming, it's just for ease of workflow. It's easier to run apps and programs across multiple screens in Win 10 when it's scaling on two monitors of the same resolution.

But I'm now thinking of upgrading to a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti. The last Nvidia card I owned was a 650, and I'm clueless about the current Nvidia driver situation and current panel settings.

So does Nvidia have an equivalent that would let me accomplish the same thing?
thanks

WildCard999

Titan
Nvidia DSR.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

Instead of a GPU upgrade have you considered a ultra wide monitor such as a 34/35" 3440X1440P which will give you a bit more room to work with? This would also allow you to still use your current monitors on each side, assuming the 390 has the right connections and use SVR to have those at 1440P as well so everything matches up nicely.

Solution

Teemsan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Thanks for the Nvidia DSR info.

When I said it isn't for gaming, I meant the consideration for that particular setup isn't for gaming. I have other reasons for looking at the 1080 as well. There's so many things I hate about this 390, from initial ongoing driver problem (resolved but frustrating), to the fact that they didn't include native HDMI 4K @ 60Hz at the time, to it's power hungry overheating and underwhelming performance.

Ultrawide is an interesting idea, but I'm not totally sold on it. Maybe I haven't seen the right one yet. My ideal in a monitor / TV is more like the LG 43UD79.

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-43UD79-B-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B0711MP768/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524964571&sr=1-1&keywords=LG+43UD79&dpID=51q0j1UZwkL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I like what they do with allowing configurations from multiple inputs, but their split screen capabilities are still not configured 100% ideal to me. I'd love if they made something that large size in just a slightly wider screen, and then allowed two input splitscreen. Is there anything like that? I don't think so.

WildCard999

Titan
That 4K would be a good choice as well, LG has some really good software to break up the screen into multiple parts as in that preview. I know my 29" LG ultra wide has a similar feature but I have yet to use it and my buddy is borrowing the monitor currently or I'd get some more details for you.

Teemsan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I'm still considering what to do. It's either:

- upgrade the GPU first then go after the monitors in a couple months
or
- upgrade monitors now and then buy the GPU in a couple months

I'm seriously considering buying two LG 43UD79's. If I bought those now, could you see a way to configure both 4K @ 60 Hz with an R9 390? (as a temp until I get the new GPU). The only 4K @ 60 Hz out from the 390 is with the DP. (HDMI's are 4K @ 30 Hz max) Do you think it would be possible to daisychain the monitors and run off of the one single DP out on the GPU?

Teemsan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Thanks, well that does makes total sense when you think of it in terms of a bandwidth / saturation issue on the one available DP connection. I think the better temp setup would be monitor one 4K @ 30 Hz with it's own HDMI for more static items, and monitor two 4K @ 60 Hz DP for motion. My workflow left to right does tend to flow that way anyway. Actually I could make monitor one 3 x 4K @ 30 Hz, with three HDMI inputs to take advantage of the LG screen splitting and / or PiP / PbP.