Does o/clocking my cpu harm the m/board in any way..?

simo1000rr

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
as the title says . can over clocking the cpu have any negative effect on the mother board the thing is i have a 2.1 c2d e 6420 lying there that i dont want .. and i want to practice o/c on that cpu but i just dont want any thing bad to happen to the new mobo( evga 790i sli) .. one friend told me that the heat produced from over colocking can damage the mobo.. is that correct .can some one confirm if any damage might happen even if its a slight damage..
im only gonna clock the cpu from 2.1 to 2.6 only..and i a hve a very good cooling .

thanx in advane for all the answers.

Yes your friend is very correct...the heat is the main concern when you overclock a CPU...As you say you have a good cooling, then there should be no problem for just the 500Mhz upgrade...
But if you CPU overclocks more, then I feel you should try and hit 3GHz...Nearly all the core2 can hit that speed with sufficient cooling...

When people say overclock decreases your CPUs lifespan, they are very correct...
For Eg. If you dont overclock your CPU, it will last 10 years or more...But if you overclock it with sufficient cooling and correct voltage settings, it would last say 8 years or so :p...
Well if you plan to keep your CPU for more than say 8 years, then dont overclock it :p

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
On low end m/b's it can hurt voltage regulating circutry as it may be not designed to deliver amounts of power required for overclocking specially quad processors.

And it can hurt anything if it gets too hot.

You have enthusiast/high end class m/b and only c2d so You are safe to overclock as long as Your cooling is sufficient and You don't go crazy with voltages.

Monitor Your temps as You overclock and don't increase voltages too much.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Ooooh boy, am I in trouble...

BTW, I've been told that CPUs can last for 20+ years, and that OCing might reduce that to 35 or so, so it doesn't really matter, because by then you would have chucked away your system eons ago. You may find some interesting info on this thread, although some of it conflicts with what I just said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/238688-28-overclocked-lifetime

EDIT: Yup, all the posters there agree that OCing a chip will not make a difference to it's lifespan. Intel rates Core2s for a lifespan of at least 15 years. You could easily get 25. A lot of people there are still running Pentium MMXs.

simo1000rr

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
thanx alot guys for the quick answrs.. my only concern was the mother board . i dont care for the cpuitself since its just lying there with no use but collecting dust ( my main cpu is Q9550 which im runing stock and not planin to o/c) so im gonna try o/Cing that old one tonight... thanx again guys

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Kewl. No worries, then.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

i disagree. the voltages hurt the boards and chipsets the most from what i understand, not the heat. the capacitors will go out long before an overclocked cpu will.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Again, I think that you'll find that old thread VERY useful. I read it from front to back and there's a wealth of knowledge inside if you take the time to read it. Seriously, have a read through.

Well I think you dint read my other comments...
I had said "sufficient cooling and correct voltage settings"... ;)
And he has a high end mobo, which has high quality caps like Shadow said...And they have longer life compared to the older caps...

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

lol... you edited that. way to fail bro! you never had 'correct voltage settings' in there before. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats too funny...

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
He has a board that even with his desired cpu overclock is not putting any more stress on the board. The FSB will not even be out offical fsb supported by the board. Nothing on the board will need voltage tweaks. The cpu shouldnt need any either.

Heck his board is rated to do 400FSB. Setting his fsb to 333 on the 6420 will bring it up to 2.66. There is NO extra stress or anything on that board with that chip/oc.

You serious...dont be a stupid...Am not that dumb to do such a thing...Just check when I edited my comments and when you had posted yours... :pt1cable:
Hahaha mayb you would do such a thing :kaola: