Does office xp work in windows 7

Merdril

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, especially if it worked under Vista. I haven't used office xp in a while, so I'm not 100% sure, but it should work. If it doesn't work in Win 7, you can always use it under the XP virtual mode.

So did you put the disk back in to let Frontpage access whatever files it needed to complete the install? It's supposed to keep coming up if you don't give it the disk.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

No i did not, i don't want frontpage, and this happened long after everything else had completed installing, funny thing it worked fine in rc, i uninstalled it, and will reinstall it later, had a few things not working in pro, that worked in rc, freespace 2 wont work now,chessmaster, and my playstation 2 emulator

sbride

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Please ignore previous reply. I googled Windows 7 VM. I now understand what you sre refering too. Thanks

Long ago I got really annoyed at that kind of behaviour from Office, and ever since then I've made it a point to do a custom install and go through all the subcomponents (and there are a ton of them!) and make sure that none of them are set to "Install on First Use". I want the d@mn things installed or not installed, not halfway in between!

I started doing this too... got tired of inserting the disk each time after I installed it to basically continue the install...

Tom Snyder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Yes Office XP, Office 2003, Office 2007, and Office 2010 work with Windows 7 BUT there is a compatibility issue with Outlook 2002 (which is included in Office XP) not saving passwords on Vista or Windows 7, here is a link to a fix:
http://outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm

You can install the rest of Office XP, however, you will not have any Outlook/Office integration.

Use CUSTOM INSTALL and X OUT ( DO NOT INSTALL ) OUTLOOK 2002.
Download and install WINDOWS LIVE to get email capability.

Update: the following applies to Windows 7 also.

Naturally, Outlook 2007, the newest version of Outlook, works well on Vista. (It also works great on Windows XP.) Outlook 2003 works well on Vista as well. Both of these versions are officially supported on Vista, so if any issues arise Microsoft will offer public hot fixes or include the fix in future Service Packs. Outlook 2002, 2000, 98, and 97 are not supported on Vista. If you choose to install any of these applications you should expect errors and annoyances. The better known problems are listed below but there may be others I'm not aware of. These versions of Outlook are all long out of support and Microsoft will not release patches to fix any problems with these versions. Upgrading is highly recommended, or use the new Vista calendar and mail applications if you are unwilling or unable to upgrade.

Outlook 2002: It runs, but email account passwords are not saved. After you enter the password during the first email check, Outlook will remember it until you close down Outlook. This is because Outlook used the protected storage interfaces to store passwords and these are no longer supported in Vista. Unless Microsoft decides to create a publicly available hot fix to address this, you won't be able to save passwords. Outlook 2002 is outside of mainstream support so this is unlikely to happen as it's not a critical security hole.

G

I bought a new PC and installed my old Office XP programs...

Tried to create some macros and add toolbar buttons for them and the whole program went squirrelly.

I have to disagree ....doesn't seem 100% compatible (at least not with Word)

gakjones

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
It is not completely compatible just because it installs. Outlook XP will not save your credentials so it will prompt you for your username/password everytime it starts regardless of the fact you check to save it. My setup is Outlook for a pop mail server.

G

No disrespect Merdril, but why do people who don't have experience in these matters feel the need to chime in? It is not a question that can be answered with, "I don't see why not", so just realize that you don't see, and keep it to yourself.

thekansaspyet

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Will Office XP version 2002 run on Windows 7 64 bit? I want to get a new Dell Vostro 3700 laptop which I believe will 64 bit? so I think I should get Windows 7 64 bit to be prepared for the wave of the future?
Comments?

dee_99

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Mine works too, but not at first, I had to uninstall the program, then restart, and using your original Office XP install disc, reinstall but be sure to select custom and do the full install of all components, then go to microsoft.com and be sure you have the full version of service pack 3. When you set up your mail with the correct POP and SMTP for your server, it should work.

dee_99

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
PS, you still have to add your password at initial send/receive as it doesn't "save" it and then go to set up for email accts to add it there too unfortunately but doing so will force the program to retrieve your mail. If anyone has figured out how to make the authentication work, that would be great.

johnny702

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I did a complete installed Office XP SP3 with the fileformatconverters.exe aka “Microsoft office compatibility pack” onto a window 7 professional 64-bit PC. I had no issues with the install or running Office XP everything seems to work fine.. However I did notice that in Word some of my custom columns tend to flicker and will not allow me to select them unless I move the scroll up or down on the mouse. This would stop the flicker for a minute but once I go back to the doc the flicker would continue. I do have multiple open word docs open at the same time. Any ideas what would be causing this nuisance and please don’t say that I’m using 8 year old office software with a current OS. Like that thought didn’t past my mind…

Pere Fouras

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Hello,

I have installed, 4 monthes ago, Outlook 2002 on my laptop running Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit.

It is running perfectly, with just the documented issue that I have to enter my password each time I open Outlook.

Documents within mails are also found by Wondows search; I have installed with no problem the CodeTwo Outlook Export add-in.

Hope it helps,

Francis