[SOLVED] Does old Intel DG31PR Motherboard support Hard Disk of SSD type?

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
I have an old PC Desktop - its mainboard is INTEL DG31PR, same as this one available on amazon:
About the hard-disk. This PC always had used HDD - either with IDE or SATA connectors. I want to know if this motherboard supports SSD - this kind of HD has the SATA connector type, but I don't have any idea if can run on this PC - perhaps it can't be recognized by the motherboard.

Note: The motherboard is based on 64 bits.

Questions:
  • Until what capacity of GB/TB can support this motherboard?
  • What kind of SSD Generation can use in peace this motherboard?
The purpose is give it some time of life working with Linux.

kanewolf

Titan
I have an old PC Desktop - its mainboard is INTEL DG31PR, same as this one available on amazon:
About the hard-disk. This PC always had used HDD - either with IDE or SATA connectors. I want to know if this motherboard supports SSD - this kind of HD has the SATA connector type, but I don't have any idea if can run on this PC - perhaps it can't be recognized by the motherboard.

Note: The motherboard is based on 64 bits.

Questions:
  • Until what capacity of GB/TB can support this motherboard?
  • What kind of SSD Generation can use in peace this motherboard?
The purpose is give it some time of life working with Linux.
A SATA SSD should work. For Linux, a 250GB should give plenty of space for the OS.

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Yes, - in the page 9/74 appears the "Four Serial ATA (SATA) channels (3.0 Gb/s) via the ICH which is SATA2 " part.
With that information:
  1. What is the explicit SSD generation the mobo supports?
  2. What is the explicit HDD generation the mobo supports?
CountMike: to avoid problems - Should I keep and buy for the old PC Desktop a HD of HDD type? If the answer is yes, that HDD kind has generations too?

Yes, - in the page 9/74 appears the "Four Serial ATA (SATA) channels (3.0 Gb/s) via the ICH which is SATA2 " part.
With that information:
  1. What is the explicit SSD generation the mobo supports?
  2. What is the explicit HDD generation the mobo supports?
CountMike: to avoid problems - Should I keep and buy for the old PC Desktop a HD of HDD type? If the answer is yes, that HDD kind has generations too?
No such thing as gen1 or 2 for SATA SSDs, at very beginning of SSDs there were some SATA 2 but not any more. Only other SSDs are of M.2 type for which your MB has no slot. Preferable features for 2.5" SATA SSDs are existence of RAM cache for OS drives and warranty which also has influence on price. Some of best ones are made by Samsung, Adata, Kingston.

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Pls, can you give me your best HD specifications for the two disks kinds available? - it for HDD and SSD - for 1TB? Of course I should go to SSD but just in case I think is necessary consider HDD too. I hope they fit well with the 2 old mobo:
  • "INTEL D915GAV/D915PGN" (Bios shows only D915PGN)
  • "INTEL DG31PR"
The purpose is indicate to my provider the specifications to avoid any kind of problem. Pls indicate the generation for each kind. You know, provider mostly thinks only in do sales.

Huge thanks in advance

Pls, can you give me your best HD specifications for the two disks kinds available? - it for HDD and SSD - for 1TB? Of course I should go to SSD but just in case I think is necessary consider HDD too. I hope they fit well with the 2 old mobo:
  • "INTEL D915GAV/D915PGN" (Bios shows only D915PGN)
  • "INTEL DG31PR"
The purpose is indicate to my provider the specifications to avoid any kind of problem. Pls indicate the generation for each kind. You know, provider mostly thinks only in do sales.

Huge thanks in advance
Oh, those are too old to have any better than SATA 1 (1.5Gb/s) ports so they have limited and sketchy support for modern SSDs and even some HDDs may have a switch to work with SATA1. so I believe that SSD is out of question and that leaves HDDs only of which Western Digital "Black" are fastest.
Btw. who or what is that "Provider" ?

Reactions: Manuel Jordan

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
so I believe that SSD is out of question and that leaves HDDs only of which Western Digital "Black" are fastest
Pls can you share some links? I need the specific model(s) - you have knowledge here - thanks for your understanding

Btw. who or what is that "Provider" ?
Is a sell store of computer hardware. Of course managed by the boss/manager - he is the "provider" - He knows about the things for the latest hardware available, but for this situation - it is for old hardware.

So I want avoid an expensive hardware which would work either incorrect or limited in my old hardware.