Question Does older used motherboards have value?

Zeipher

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
So I decided to get rid of some of the old stuff I have laying around from my old PC. It's mostly "garbage" by today's performance and I realize most of it will go for symbolic prices (or maybe it will go to an e-waste container in the end), but I got confused when going through listings online regarding motherboards.

I have a X79 motherboard (MSI X79A-GD45 PLUS to be precise) collecting dust and when I go to places like eBay I see A LOT of listings of 100+. At first I thought - maybe it's just the low number of MSI boards, but checking for X79 for LGA 2011 in general, the trend seemed to be similar - very few used boards below 100 pounds (was looking at ebay.co.uk specifically). Am I totally missing something or such older used boards can still be this pricey and people still buy them (listings ofc is not equal to sales)?

Zeipher

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
On ebay, you have to look at Sold+Completed.
Not just 'listings'.
Thanks, did check that and saw some going for 50ish, 70ish, but an odd 100 in there as well. So I guess people are still willing to spend quite a bit of money for a 10 year old product? It wasn't cheap new either ofc...

Thanks, did check that and saw some going for 50ish, 70ish, but an odd 100 in there as well. So I guess people are still willing to spend quite a bit of money for a 10 year old product? It wasn't cheap new either ofc...
Yeah people have some old system up and running for some weird reason for work or for anything and so they are searching for replacements of old components because changing everything out would require them to redesign or set up a lot of stuff or they would have to buy new licenses or whatnot.
It's just a lot easier for them to keep using something that is proven.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I would personally just post it for like $60.
My reasoning for that is this:
Chances that anybody who actually is looking for said board because they are going to actually use it whether it's because they got other components to build with it for dirt cheap or because they maybe need it to replace one they had in order to maintain and keep an existing system for whatever reason are pretty slim, and most likely the people who will buy it from you are the same people trying to sell them on eBay for $100 that are willing to hold onto the stock.
And hey, if the person that buys it is actually using it for a system then you just helped them out from getting robbed by those other dudes trying to sell that board for $100 or more :)

So by marking it that low you'll have a better chance of selling it off sooner to those guys that are just going to try and repost it for more, getting it out of your hair and getting a little cash for it leaving those other dudes to deal with holding onto it.

But that's just me.

It's a far more compelling sell if you happened to have CPU and RAM to go with it and were trying to sell it as a bundle for about $100-150 because at that point it might be more compelling to someone trying to scrounge together a competent budget gaming system on the cheap.