Does Optane REALLY only work on Intel and not on AMD ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
I believe so... it requires software in the motherboard firmware to use it and I think it might be licensed. It's also not exactly for enthusiasts so it's not a huge loss.

I rather just buy a nice SSD.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I think that only applies to using Optane as a cache drive. When used as a regular drive, it's definitely capable of working with non Kaby Lake (7th Gen) CPUs/non 200 series chipsets. Example is Tom's P4800X review using Broadwell (5th Gen) server CPUs. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-3d-xpoint-p4800x,5030-3.html
That being said, I believe the only consumer Optane drivers available are only meant for caching, at least so far.

First this is Commercially available, not consumer, especially at $1500US for 375GB according to https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/intels-first-optane-ssd-375gb-that-you-can-also-use-as-ram/

Secondly this is new technology combining the element of using SSD and RAM as the same thing (your using the storage as memory to process data). https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/optane-memory.html Which is LIMITED to ONLY 7thGen Core systems. SO YES it is only Intel systems per Intel. They only made it for them.

All obtained by a simple GOOGLE search and reading the articles. Should try that, is much faster than waiting for response on a random forum.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, I realize that the 4800X is not meant for consumers, and said as much in my post. My point is that there doesn't seem to be any technical limitation that would prevent a consumer grade Optane based SSD from working with non Kaby Lake CPU. It all depends on what Intel decides to with the technology when it releases a consumer grade product similar to the 4800X. Maybe you'll be able to use it just like any other PCIe SSD, or maybe Intel will artificially limit its compatibility.

If the OP was referring specifically to "Optane Memory" caching drives (i.e. this: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Optane-Memory-Module-MEMPEK1W016GAXT/dp/B06XSMTN31?tag=bom_tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=site:thus|tid:65511494872096167), then those only work on Kaby Lake CPUs/200 series mobos. If the OP was referring to Optane based products in general, then I believe there's some hope that there will eventually be products that work on other platforms.

@ TJ Hooker : I am sorry I think your totally misunderstanding the 4800X entire concept here and purpose (which I don't think the OP ever considered) and equally just looking at it like a 'SSD' like people been installing into thier computers for a while now as a 'storage' device.

This device totally changes the concept of the computer, merging the use of short - process oriented memory into the use of long term storage memory AND keeping the normal long term memory storage intact (a 'side' benefit?). So there is no 'RAM' you would need to 'boot up' and check for, it is allocated from the storage device instead, as the UEFI would then ask the storage device for memory to temp load (just like Windows Virtual memory has been doing for ages now) for the OS and other elements then onto whatever other 'code' you wish to install; all through the hardware layers.

Personally I think this is brilliant and marks the next step to what Intel / AMD been pushing for which is AOC (all in one chip) design of a entire computer. Imagine making a M.2 like this and you just reduced the 'thinness' of a laptop even further, supermicro'd your desktop motherboards, and more! All with huge performance gains. Cost being the biggest issue of course :)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you can use Intel IRST to set it up as a cache, or Memory Drive Technology to treat it as system memory, to bridge the gap between RAM and storage. But as far as I can tell, it's absolutely possible to have it work just like a (especially fast) PCIe SSD.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11209/intel-optane-ssd-dc-p4800x-review-a-deep-dive-into-3d-xpoint-enterprise-performance/3
The system was running a clean installation of Ubuntu 16.10, with no Intel or Optane-specific software or drivers installed[...]
All tests were run directly on the SSD with no intervening filesystem. Real-world applications will almost always be accessing the drive through a filesystem, but will also be benefiting from the operating system's cache in main RAM, which is bypassed with this testing methodology.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding that article, but it sounds to me like they're running it just like a vanilla storage device. Not saying that's necessarily the best use case for it, but it seems to be doable nonetheless.

Well the problem is Intel kept this thing under total wraps and having 'remote' access to Marketing devices than the actual real intended usage and design specification. Further both Anand and TH didn't have enough time with it either.

"Due to time, we were unable to cover Intel's new Memory Drive Technology software. This is an optional software add-on that can be purchased with the Optane SSD. The Memory Drive Technology software is a minimal virtualization system that allows software to pretend that their Optane SSD is RAM. The hypervisor will present to the guest OS a pool of memory equal to the amount of available DRAM plus up to 320GB of the Optane SSD's 375GB capacity. The hypervisor manages the placement of data to automatically cache hot data in DRAM, such that applications or the guest OS cannot explicitly address or allocate Optane storage. We may get a chance to look at this in the future, as it offers an interesting aspect of the new ways multi-tiered storage will be affecting the Enterprise market over the next few years."

As a SSD it should be up to speed as normal DRAM is, but I probably wrong on that. Still interesting to see the concept implemented and make on demand memory for processing availability in a single device possible.

hopsteriam

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Update: Ramdrive is an option for AMD users who want Optane like advantages. It is FASTER than Optane but sacrifices some of your ram. Yes you would need to buy a lot of ram to cover a 16 or 32g optane add on, but far less would still help and again, it is FASTER than optane as it is ram not an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.