Does overclocking gpu change your cpu temperature? (Please help)

Jun 19, 2018
Gpu: GeForce Gtx 1060
Cpu: Intel vote i5-8400

So I decided to fix my cable management in my pc one day and right after I was done I turned on my pc and decided to overclock my GPU as well. I downloaded msi afterburner and maxed out power limit% and temp limit, increased core and memory clock. I DID NOT change the core voltage(As I know that will increase your cpu temp).

For some reason my CPU fan gets very loud now and hits 75-85 Celsius while gaming and before all this it used to be 55-65 Celsius while gaming. Any thoughts on why my cpu temp changed so much after overclocking and simply moving cables around my pc? I’m so confused...

The obvious possibility is that you overclocked more than the GPU, possibly without realizing it. So what happens if you remove the overclocking and go back to stock speeds?

Another thing, I suggest changing ONE thing at a time then doing tests. You say you changed multiple things at once, that complicates troubleshooting since it's possible that any one of those things is the culprit.

Hello,
In general when you are gaming, the game tries to get the most out of its system so that either the GPU or the CPU reaches 100% of the load and the other a certain amount of load according to the relative power between the GPU / CPU. As there are games that are more demanding cpu and other more demanding gpu is not a fixed value. In general the I5-8400 is more powerful relatively than the GTX 1060 (3GB or 6GB?) With what can happen, for example, that the GPU load is 100% and the CPU load is 90%.
If you do OC to the GPU, this increases its power so the CPU should increase its load to be on par. If, for example, it happens to be 100%, its temperature will increase.
With msi afterburner you can know the% load of the CPU and the GPU and check if this is happening.