[SOLVED] Does power supply affected interference with different GPU?

Jun 13, 2021
*Intel Core i5-11400
*ASUS Prime B560M-A
*OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM
*Team T-Force Vulcan G 1 TB 2.5" SSD
Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB
EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
(* are new components)

I just upgraded my pc a month ago. After the upgrade, there was a static/crackling noise from the speaker whenever I played games or use mouse while listening to music.
Later, I found out it was my RX580's problem. There's no more noise after I switched back to my old GTX960.

However, I still wonder what causes this noise because the noise wasn't there before the upgrade when I was using RX580.

I suspect either the motherboard or the PSU is defective.
There was once that my screen froze and turned black after I clicked open a video. Then there's a loud buzzing noise and the pc rebooted.
Is this a sign of PSU failure? My PSU is already 6 years old.

Does RX580 create more interference with my new motherboard since it uses more power?
Is my power supply bad so that it creates more interference with RX580 than GTX960 because it uses more power?

Solution
Sounds like the higher powered 580 overloaded the PSU and caused sparks and crackles, and the low powered 960 doesn’t. You would need to upgrade your PSU to something better to handle the 580.

Those old EVGA units are notorious for not living up to their labelled wattage and for having poor build quality.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Sounds like the higher powered 580 overloaded the PSU and caused sparks and crackles, and the low powered 960 doesn’t. You would need to upgrade your PSU to something better to handle the 580.

Those old EVGA units are notorious for not living up to their labelled wattage and for having poor build quality.

Solution

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Sounds like the higher powered 580 overloaded the PSU and caused sparks and crackles
That's not how it works lmao.
But this PSU could indeed let more interference (EMI/ripple) than expected/normal, because it's a fairly cheap PSU, doesn't help that it's also 6 years old. The GPU could be a culprit too but i doubt it, rather it just puts more stress on the PSU. I'd recommend to replace the PSU, with a good one, then work out the rest if the noise is still there.