[SOLVED] Does PRIME Z370-P II support i7-9700?

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
Hello.

Question 1
I know that certain motherboards (Z-370) have to update BIOS before running the i7-9700. I couldnt find anyone confirming the Z370-P II can run it without the BIOS update, but on their website it stands "Ready for Socket 1151 for 9th / 8th Gen Intel® Core™, Pentium® Gold and Celeron® processors ".

Can anyone confirm I can buy a new Z370-P II without updating BIOS to use i7-9700?

Question 2
I'm setting up a PC first time in my life. This is what I'm currently thinking of buying
  • ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER ROG STRIX OC
  • ASUS PRIME Z370-P II
  • Intel Core i7-9700 (non-k)
  • Corsair Hydro H100x
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 C16 DC
  • Corsair RM650x
  • Corsair Carbide 275R
  • Intel 660p SSD M.2 NVMe - 512GB
  • 2 be quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans

Purpose for pc is to game fortnite 1080p low graphic settings 240hz monitor (Alienware AW2518HF Freesync)
How does this setup look?

Solution
No, sorry. Not out of the box, at least.
Only B365 and Z390 support Intel 9th gen out of the box. The other models require a bios update - or you get lucky and get a pre-updated mobo.

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
Thanks for quick answers.
So is this setup okay?

• ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER ROG STRIX OC
  • ASUS PRIME Z390-P
  • Intel Core i7-9700
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 C16 DC 16GB
  • Intel 660p SSD M.2 NVMe
  • NZXT H510i Matte White
  • Corsair RM650x
  • be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (2 fans)
Or should I go with the GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING instead of ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER ROG STRIX OC?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Hyper 212 isn't really enough for an I7-9700.
That cooler is designed for 150w of heat and lower. A 9700 can put out up to 200w under full load. Consider one of the following coolers instead:
-be quiet! Dark Rock 4(non pro)
-Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
-Thermalright Macho Rev.B
-Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M
-ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

2)Warning: It's not a good idea to prioritize the build around a single game... 240fps isn't possible in Fortnite even on low, with a 9700 + RX 5700XT = more around 200fps, give or take some, depending on some things.
If this doesn't bother you, then carry on.

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
1)Hyper 212 isn't really enough for an I7-9700.
That cooler is designed for 150w of heat and lower. A 9700 can put out up to 200w under full load. Consider one of the following coolers instead:
-be quiet! Dark Rock 4(non pro)
-Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
-Thermalright Macho Rev.B
-Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M
-ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

2)Warning: It's not a good idea to prioritize the build around a single game... 240fps isn't possible in Fortnite even on low, with a 9700 + RX 5700XT = more around 200fps, give or take some, depending on some things.
If this doesn't bother you, then carry on.

I thought it would be alright sinse it's not going to be overclocked. So without overclock I need something better then the 212 Hyper?

Also, you're saying it's not possible to get 240fps with these compononts. But how do you explain this?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRVImlujzM

3700x with 5700XT peeking up to 400 fps.

From what I understand, when ur on low settings the graphic card doesnt matter that much. If the 3700x can pull up to 400 fps low graphics, why can't the 9700 non K pull the same numbers?

Also from what I read up on, the MA410M is about the same as the 212 hyper?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I thought it would be alright sinse it's not going to be overclocked. So without overclock I need something better then the 212 Hyper?

Also, you're saying it's not possible to get 240fps with these compononts. But how do you explain this?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRVImlujzM

3700x with 5700XT peeking up to 400 fps.

From what I understand, when ur on low settings the graphic card doesnt matter that much. If the 3700x can pull up to 400 fps low graphics, why can't the 9700 non K pull the same numbers?

1)You need to take those kinds of youtube videos with a grain of salt.
They specifically optimized their OS(via registry changes), and drivers for the game in question, and nothing more; things the usual consumer won't mess with, less they screw their stuff up(and I'm being subtle here).

2)The video poster also doesn't share what they did to achieve those results... "Hey, I get 400fps in Fortnite! Subscribe, and give me all the likes!"
If you were to look up more legit reviews of that hardware, you'd come to the conclusion that it wasn't achievable through normal/stock means.
And there's no monitor that can display that many frames anyway, so what's the point?

3)240fps in Fortnite isn't actually possible @ 1080p low with the current level of hardware. Even the best 1080p combo of 9700K + 2070 Super yields averages of 230fps, with dips into 200fps:
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super/intel-core-i7-9700k-3-60ghz/low (scroll down until you get to the bunch of green bars - it's on that list)

4)Thanks to that video, you seem to be under the impression that the 3700x is a good deal faster than the 9700, when in reality, the 2 are pretty evenly matched - save for some titles that are better optimized for AMD or Intel cpus.

5)
The MA410P is.
Yeah, I know... model names.

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
1)You need to take those kinds of youtube videos with a grain of salt.
They specifically optimized their OS(via registry changes), and drivers for the game in question, and nothing more; things the usual consumer won't mess with, less they screw their stuff up(and I'm being subtle here).

2)The video poster also doesn't share what they did to achieve those results... "Hey, I get 400fps in Fortnite! Subscribe, and give me all the likes!"
If you were to look up more legit reviews of that hardware, you'd come to the conclusion that it wasn't achievable through normal/stock means.
And there's no monitor that can display that many frames anyway, so what's the point?

3)240fps in Fortnite isn't actually possible @ 1080p low with the current level of hardware. Even the best 1080p combo of 9700K + 2070 Super yields averages of 230fps, with dips into 200fps:
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super/intel-core-i7-9700k-3-60ghz/low (scroll down until you get to the bunch of green bars - it's on that list)

4)Thanks to that video, you seem to be under the impression that the 3700x is a good deal faster than the 9700, when in reality, the 2 are pretty evenly matched - save for some titles that are better optimized for AMD or Intel cpus.

5)

The MA410P is.
Yeah, I know... model names.

It avarages 231fps 1080p gaming low settings according to the site you provoided.
https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...2060-super-gaming-oc-vs-?lang=en&currency=usd

That should be enough with freesync enabled + OS optimization?

I do have the Noctua NH U14-S tho, incase the 212 hyper can't handle i7-9700. But I do kinda want the RBG. And also I dont want to change the cpu cooler one more time.

These are the one's I can choose from (order from cheap to expensive)
  • Cryorig H7
  • Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
  • Noctua NH-U12S
  • Corsair Hydro H100x

Then some more but those or on the expensive end.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It avarages 231fps 1080p gaming low settings according to the site you provoided.
https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...2060-super-gaming-oc-vs-?lang=en&currency=usd

That should be enough with freesync enabled + OS optimization?
140fps is already darn good. I'm just making you aware that a constant 240fps isn't possible in that game with available hardware under normal situations.
But if you're fine with sub 200...?

I do have the Noctua NH U14-S tho, incase the 212 hyper can't handle i7-9700. But I do kinda want the RBG. And also I dont want to change the cpu cooler one more time.
I guess time will tell...

These are the one's I can choose from (order from cheap to expensive)
  • Cryorig H7
  • Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
  • Noctua NH-U12S
  • Corsair Hydro H100x
Then some more but those or on the expensive end.
-Liquid coolers aren't necessary for a 9700. Air coolers will be a cheaper investment - you already have a couple - and the heatsinks last a lifetime, whereas liquid coolers will have pump failures after like 3 years(more or less), requiring you to replace the whole thing.
So I'd scratch off the MasterLiquid and Hydro H100X.

-Cryorig H7: Cryorig has become expensive in the US, no thanks to that trade war. You likely don't live here, seeing the H7 as the cheapest option on your list... unfortunately, the H7 offers a similar level of performance as the 212 Evo - maybe slightly worse - it's rated for 140w of heat.
So I'd scratch this one off too.

-That just leaves the MA410M and the NH-U12S. Either one would work, but I'd lean towards the Noctua for their top quality fans. By the way, there's a Black Edition of it available.

Reactions: kimroar90

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
140fps is already darn good. I'm just making you aware that a constant 240fps isn't possible in that game with available hardware under normal situations.
But if you're fine with sub 200...?

I guess time will tell...

-Liquid coolers aren't necessary for a 9700. Air coolers will be a cheaper investment - you already have a couple - and the heatsinks last a lifetime, whereas liquid coolers will have pump failures after like 3 years(more or less), requiring you to replace the whole thing.
So I'd scratch off the MasterLiquid and Hydro H100X.

-Cryorig H7: Cryorig has become expensive in the US, no thanks to that trade war. You likely don't live here, seeing the H7 as the cheapest option on your list... unfortunately, the H7 offers a similar level of performance as the 212 Evo - maybe slightly worse - it's rated for 140w of heat.
So I'd scratch this one off too.

-That just leaves the MA410M and the NH-U12S. Either one would work, but I'd lean towards the Noctua for their top quality fans. By the way, there's a Black Edition of it available.

A friend of mine uses the 8600k non overclocked with the 1080 GTX, and he says it's like night and day with the 240hz vs 144hz, so I have to try it.

So the MA410M is better then the 212 hyper RGB? I'm leaning forwards to the MA410M now, as I want the RGB feature. If it don't work I can always try to change the CPU cooler myself, I did it once with alot of hassle.. can do it again I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what kinda specs would run 240hz avarage fortnite low settings?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A friend of mine uses the 8600k non overclocked with the 1080 GTX, and he says it's like night and day with the 240hz vs 144hz, so I have to try it.
:unsure:
As much as I want to argue with this, I'll say no more. I don't want to set off other possible landmines...

So the MA410M is better then the 212 hyper RGB? I'm leaning forwards to the MA410M now, as I want the RGB feature. If it don't work I can always try to change the CPU cooler myself, I did it once with alot of hassle.. can do it again I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what kinda specs would run 240hz avarage fortnite low settings?
It isn't possible at the moment. Recall those benchmarks I linked. I use them as a reference; expect actual in game results to be a little worse, so as not to be disappointed later.

Here's what it looks like with a 9900K + 2080Ti: https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti/intel-core-i9-9900k-3-60ghz/low
-From what I know of the 2080Ti, actual in game results aren't going to look like this at all.
-There's a cpu bottleneck with ALL available cpus paired with this card @ 1080p. Even the mighty 9900K bends at the knee to this thing.
-Low graphics settings just makes the cpu limitation all the worse.
-If we compare those 9900K + 2080Ti results to that of a 9700K/3700X + 2070 Super, it looks pretty pathetic, considering how much money goes into the different combos....
Around $800 more gets you like 20fps more? That's hella lopsided, and a bloody joke.

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
:unsure:
As much as I want to argue with this, I'll say no more. I don't want to set off other possible landmines...

It isn't possible at the moment. Recall those benchmarks I linked. I use them as a reference; expect actual in game results to be a little worse, so as not to be disappointed later.

Here's what it looks like with a 9900K + 2080Ti: https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti/intel-core-i9-9900k-3-60ghz/low
-From what I know of the 2080Ti, actual in game results aren't going to look like this at all.
-There's a cpu bottleneck with ALL available cpus paired with this card @ 1080p. Even the mighty 9900K bends at the knee to this thing.
-Low graphics settings just makes the cpu limitation all the worse.
-If we compare those 9900K + 2080Ti results to that of a 9700K/3700X + 2070 Super, it looks pretty pathetic, considering how much money goes into the different combos....
Around $800 more gets you like 20fps more? That's hella lopsided, and a bloody joke.

I appreciate your honesty and looking forward to upgrade my old i7-3820 1600mhz ram haha.
I'll buy the MA410M as you recommended instead of 212, it also looks better so it's a win win.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88